SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

TommyMetola
    SitePoint Community Guest

Accessible JavaScript: Beyond the Mouse

Notice: This is a discussion thread for comments about the SitePoint article, Accessible JavaScript: Beyond the Mouse.

Wow that article was really pointless. I mean, I dont know ANY business who gives a damn whether their site is accessible or not. Waste of space this article is.
    Last edited by AlexW; Dec 17, 2006 at 23:18.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let it be your task to persuade these companies that they should give a damn ;)

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a number of countries where there is a legal requirement that web sites be accessible. Those who don't care about accessibility soon change their minds after being taken to court in one of these countries and presented with a huge fine for non-compliance with the law. At least one large retail chain in the US has already discovered the huge cost associated with disregarding the US accessibility laws.

Just because your country doesn't have such laws doesn't make you safe either as some countries base their requirement on the location of the person who wants to visit the site but is unable to due to the site not catering for their particular disability rather than the location of the site owner. Doesn't mean they'd have any success in actually obtaining the compensation from you if you are in a different country but they could probably succeed in getting your web site shut down at least.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Borat_Sagdiev_Wa_wa_we_wah
    *Yawns*. NEXT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I thought it was a terrific article James. Easy to implement and good to know that there's much less doom and gloom when AJAX is not a part of the equation.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was a good article too. In the world of desktop applications it has been proven that keyboard equivalents for mouse actions are a great benefit to users. As a programmer I would be much less efficient without keyboard-shortcuts.

But the main point of the article is more significant than just providing keyboard-shortcuts. I like the article's emphasis on "input-device independence". That means our skill as developers must evolve to the point that the implementation is, as the author says, "just details", and our thought is more concerned with abstract concepts.

If there is anything "bad" about the article it is the fact that it is written so well that many people may think it too trivial to "study closely". It is presenting an advanced concept - but does it such that almost anyone can understand it. To be honest I found myself skipping through it quickly because it appeared, at first, to be targeted at novice developers. I found myself thinking, "I already do that". But the article is really challenging us to take a hard look at what "we already do" and take it up to the next level of abstraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this article. Gave me much to think about as I design my upcoming web-based application...fantastic!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyMetola View Post
    Wow that article was really pointless. I mean, I dont know ANY business who gives a damn whether their site is accessible or not. Waste of space this article is.

"Federal judge sustains discrimination claims against Target; precedent establishes that retailers must make their websites accessible to the blind under the ADA

Berkeley, CA (September 7, 2006): A federal district court judge ruled yesterday that a retailer may be sued if its website is inaccessible to the blind. "
    Source: http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Target_Sept_R...sp?SnID=434667

Target.com didn't know anyone either.

Just trying to keep you informed and in charge, Tommy.
    Alex Walker
    SitePoint Developer
    SitePoint - Learnable

Mohan
    Nice article