SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP fwrite/fread problem

Hi there,

I have a slight problem here when reading and writing to a text file.

When I read from the text file (which has a keyword on each new line), I explode() the content of the text file to retrieve an array of keywords. For some odd reason when I write the LAST keyword back to a text file, it adds a strange blockish character to the end.

When I output this same LAST keyword in the array, which was also the keyword on the last line of the text file, it just removes the space created by the newline.

Sounds confusing...
    Anyhow...the blockish character is the problem.
    This is probably some encoding issue, but I can't seem to figure it out. I've had this problem before, but couldn't fix it.

Does someone know how to prevent this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea

But you could try using the ord() funcyion to work out exactly what teh character is!

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.ord.php
    Laws are like sausages. You have much more respect for them if you haven't actually seen how they're made.

http://www.webamoeba.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...

I have a '.txt' file with 9 keywords in it. Each starting with "keyword" followed by a number, from 1 to 9. Example :

keyword1
    keyword2
    keyword3
    keyword4
    keyword5
    keyword6
    keyword7
    keyword8
    keyword9
    I upload this file with my script and use explode() to get an array of keywords. For each array key, I then insert the value for that key into a db table, each on a new row.

...then I try to write these keywords to a text file. Note that it might not be the same keywords, and they won't be in the same order, etc... since I have uploaded this file several times, meaning I might have 18, 27, 36, etc... keywords in the database.

See below :

I'm trying to write each keyword on a newline into a text file. Where the last keyword of each file that was uploaded is written (keyword9 in this case), it doesn't place a newline, but rather a blockish character.

Here is some sample PHP code of what I used :

PHP Code:
    <?php

$fh 
    fopen("word1.txt""a"); //"a" for append at the end

foreach ($keywords as $keyword)
    {

fwrite($fh$keyword "\n");
    }

fclose($fh);

?>
    I'm so frustrated. Like I said before, I think this is some encoding problem, but I don't know how to strip it out or prevent it.

I'm running PHP 5.1.6 on Apache server on Windows XP OS as a local server.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sorted out the problem...

When typing the file with the keywords for uploading, I need to hit enter/return after the last keyword. This seems to get rid of the 'blockish' character completely.

Question is...why is it doing this?