SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multilingual sites & top level domains - seo issues

Hi , i have a successful .co.uk e-commerce site and i want to marklet my site in other countries. I have read on other sites ( matt cutts , danny sullivan etc) that translating the site into the locakl language and putting it onto the top level domain of that country is ok and we wont incur any duplicate penalties i.e trasnlate site ionto german onto a .de domain and there'll be no penalties. But......what about putting site onto .com , .com.au & .ie domains. if i was to replicate site exactly on these domains would we incur duplicate penalty issues. We want to market the products overseas and display prices etc in local currency and also we want to establ;ish a presence the local search engines of that country i.e google.ie or google.com , google.com.au. Doe s any one have any help ?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good question. I'd like to ask the same regarding our translated site into Canadian French. Our English counterpart ranks real well for 95% of our targetted keywords, but when we translated our E site into CF, we used a .com TLD for the site, rather than use a .ca domain. Earlier on in the year, I noticed that it was indexed in Google, MSN, and Yahoo, but now, only Yahoo still has the site indexed. Any one know if this might be penalized for dup content?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linkin99 View Post
    Any one know if this might be penalized for dup content?
    In my thinking, it can't be duplicate content, simply because it's not. Two different words with the same meaning are not duplicates.

@jeffmcsheff: the same content on 2 different domains is duplicate by definition (well, my definition anyway )

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason I asked for ours is that I'm wondering if I'm using the correct version of Google. I'm not sure if I need to look at the .ca or the .fr version. The com had us - for a while, then it dropped that site. I'm wondering if it "noticed" that it was in french, and decided to move it over, (and wait to index it for 6 more months) because I've not seen it index in the .com site in about 4 months. (The site was created this year in Feb.)

So to reiderate, I'd resubmit it, just not sure to which one being that's it's a ".com".