User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cookiemaniac,

Have you installed phpBB before? First, loaded with useless features? phpBB 1.4.4 is the complete opposite... it is pretty basic. Are Private Messaging and Search useless? Because that is basically all that it has.

I don't know if I would call the layout messy, but it definitely isn't polished. Have you looked at phpBB2? It has more features, still less than vB... phpBB has always had less features than vB, so how could phpBB have useless features when it basically has the same ones vB does? And phpBB2 includes templating and has a cleaner and it is easier to customize the look and feel of the site.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I wouldn't have been able to answer this a week ago but since then I have been experimenting with several bbs systems in an attempt to have an easy 'free' and fully configurable bbs system. I do believe phpBB does all of this and is so easy to use I am training a 56 year old to run it.

I also tried Vbulletin and while I found its potential better I didn't want to spend any money. The lite version is probably the best example of crippled software I have seen in ages. It gives you just enough to play but not enough to have any fun
    Last edited by Maelstrom; Jan 5, 2002 at 18:00.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by conkermaniac
    PhpBB, MercuryBoard, and Ikonboard are better, but they still would be considered mediocre by my standards.
    i had to follow the link in your sig after reading the quote above, and lookie lookie what i found there

2001 Ikonboard.com
    Powered by Ikonboard 3.0.1 2001 Ikonboard
    no offense, if you really think ikonboard is mediocre why are you using it?

as for :

I dislike phpBB strongly. Their layout looks quite messy, and they overload their board with useless features.
    i totally disagree with you, i've been using phpbb2 since the beta 1 release and haven't found a single feature i found useless.

this of course is the beauty of having a choice, we can choose to use what we like

:water

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by water

no offense, if you really think ikonboard is mediocre why are you using it?
    That's not my message board. It's just a board which I'm active at. I honestly don't like it, but that's been their choice.

I've seen phpBB boards, and they're clunky, slow, and loaded with unnecessary features. For example, the old ones at teamzebra.net. They've changed to vBulletin (thankfully), but you should have seen their phpBB board before!

Also, the makers of phpBB weren't even DECENT enough to pick a server that I can access. The ONLY page I can access on the phpBB page is the front page. Everything else is blocked by my firewall. Maybe they're just protecting me from the horrors of phpBB 2.0.
    WebsiteForums - Best webmaster discussion on the net!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the makers of phpBB weren't even DECENT enough to pick a server that I can access. The ONLY page I can access on the phpBB page is the front page. Everything else is blocked by my firewall. Maybe they're just protecting me from the horrors of phpBB 2.0.
    I'm 99.99% sure that the phpBB 2 forum is on SourceForge.

Frank
    http://www.serverexpert.com/ Discuss servers and the software that makes them work.
    http://www.webmasters-resources.com/ Resources for webmasters.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not my message board. It's just a board which I'm active at.
    good to clear that up

They've changed to vBulletin (thankfully)
    this i don't understand, as an admin and user of several vbulletin boards i find them very overloaded with features that slow them down. in my opnion the real problem is the webmaters and / or board admins that are to eager to show off whtat's possible with the board they're using instead of cutting off the unecessary wheight.

Originally posted by ffeingol
    I'm 99.99% sure that the phpBB 2 forum is on SourceForge.

Frank
    they are, and the sf servers haven't been the most reliable lately at that might have caused your problems with reaching the forums. you can access them directly here :

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB2/index.php

there has also been some dicussion of af a bug in admuncher that blocks out phpbb2, so if you're using that piece of software that mioght be it. you'll find the thread here :

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2871

:water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by UTGraeme
    I just downloaded phpbb 2.

-It's easy to set-up, but hard to customize the look.
    -It's amazingly fast.
    -Easy to use, but it's all relative.
    -I'm not sure about the Email to a friend thing
    -It's free
    -phpBB 2 has so many features it will make your head pop off
    -
    i have it up and running on my site now i love it
    i love php

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've pretty much tried all the free stuff. I finally just settled with XMBforum. Its PHP / mySQL based, and its VERY easy to set up and customize. Not to mention Google can spider all the topics

http://www.xmbforum.com/

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike phpBB strongly. Their layout looks quite messy, and they overload their board with useless features. YaBB, Burning Board, and OpenBB are absolutely pathetic; they have almost as little value as a WWW-board. PhpBB, MercuryBoard, and Ikonboard are better, but they still would be considered mediocre by my standards. All of them clearly copied UBB, and while I dislike UBB also, I don't like rip-offs either.
    You call Ikonboard mediocre but you use it on the very site that you advertise in your signature? I am confused here

It was asked why some would chose a commercial package over a freely available package.

We chose vBulletin for basically for a variety of reasons...

1) Proven reliability. It is used on thousands of websites on a multitude of server configurations.
    2) Scalability. It has proven it can support millions of posts and tens of thousands of users with over 1,000 users online concurrently.
    3) Quality Support. Which continually gets better. Please note that about 10 months ago, I accepted a paid position providing contract support to vBulletin's customers. However I only accepted the position because I stand behind the software 100%.
    4) Easily modifiable and well written code. (Note: I haven't looked at the code of any other packages listed lately).
    5) Import from UBB which we were using before. This was absolutely necessary.
    6) PHP and MySQL engine
    and finally
    7) Easy customizability.

We are happy with our purchase and using the vBulletin affiliate program have more than made the original investment back.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    You call Ikonboard mediocre but you use it on the very site that you advertise in your signature? I am confused here
    he said it's not his. look up.

It was asked why some would chose a commercial package over a freely available package.

We chose vBulletin for basically for a variety of reasons...
    4) Easily modifiable and well written code.
    well written? the versions i've seen (1.something and 2.0.3) are HORRIBLY written. phpBB2 is a lot better (in the layout of code, that is. they're still using some ineffecient code).
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, anything before 2.0, IMO, isn't really fair game...but 2.0.3? What's bad about that? vB runs quite well for me, and I haven't had too much trouble in modifying it. I haven't noticed too much in the way of messy code. Maybe some...but certainly nothing much for such a large script, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

well written? the versions i've seen (1.something and 2.0.3) are HORRIBLY written. phpBB2 is a lot better (in the layout of code, that is. they're still using some ineffecient code).
    Guess that depends on your style of coding... I'll admit that vBulletin isn't the best written code ever but it is far better than most PHP scripts available today. It is also being completely re-written and formatted for vBulletin 3.0 using a standard set of coding guidelines.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm just very discriminating! and, yeah, i saw on their forums that 3 was going to be completely rewritten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by icehousedesigns
    I think I've pretty much tried all the free stuff. I finally just settled with XMBforum.
    I second it!
    It is cool and may be the best free one of its genre till, perhaps, phpbb 2 comes on!
    S.K
    CyberBrahma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ignorance is Bliss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke

Guess that depends on your style of coding... I'll admit that vBulletin isn't the best written code ever but it is far better than most PHP scripts available today. It is also being completely re-written and formatted for vBulletin 3.0 using a standard set of coding guidelines.
    Coor, I wonder where they got that idea from
    phpBB Development Team Leader ...
    ... and former style guru to the stars, or maybe not.
    phpBB 3.0 | Security Tracker | Bug Tracker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, I doubt it was phpBB 2, to be perfectly blunt. Standardized coding isn't a new concept. PEAR comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, strange though that they didn't introduce coding guidelines with the 2.x series rewrite ... but are with 3.x, after phpBB2 did that very thing (with other boards also starting to follow this, as you say, standard practice) ... much like md5 support appearing in 2.2 or whatever version it was
    phpBB Development Team Leader ...
    ... and former style guru to the stars, or maybe not.
    phpBB 3.0 | Security Tracker | Bug Tracker

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is like the Mac -vs- Windows, Perl -vs- PHP, UBB -vs- vBulletin and men -vs- women arguments that go on forever, often cause disagreement and are never resolved. Here is what I recommend you do;

###

1. Setup a webserver on your home PC (not too hard, I'll be writing a detailed guide soon but there are plenty on the 'net and a couple at SitePoint I think).

###

2[i]. Download all the forums you can find for free (phpBB, XMB, YaBB, whatever) and set them all up on your local web server.

-and- / -or-

2[ii]. E-Mail admins of popular and semi-popular UBB, UBBThreads and vBulletin forums and ask them what there experience with that particular piece of software is.

###

3[i]. If you have decided on UBB, UBBThreads or vBulletin, get the credit card out and get ready to pay.

-or-

3[ii]. Alternatively, narrow the free forums you installed on your local webserver down to two or three and upload them and ask a few of your friends to sign up and play around and then make a choice considering the speed of the forum on your server, and your users responses.

###

Follow these steps and I can practically guarantee you you will find a bulletin board you like!! Have fun!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psoTFX

Coor, I wonder where they got that idea from
    They got the ideas from a list of recommendations to allow your software to be used by the United States Government and its agencies. They require standardized code. They certainly didn't get it from phpBB.

When the 2.X series was created, 70% of it was written by one person. Only after the first Alpha version was released for testing did they hire new developers and have multiple people writing the code. However when you suddenly increase "the number of cooks", new styles are going to be introduced. Even with that the vBulletin code is well written with standard conventions used throughout for the most part. Now the code could be commented better and made tighter in places but that wasn't the focus over the 2.X rewrite. The focus was to strengthen the engine and provide the basis for future expansion.
    Last edited by Hierophant; Jan 8, 2002 at 14:42.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike phpBB strongly. Their layout looks quite messy, and they overload their board with useless features. YaBB, Burning Board, and OpenBB are absolutely pathetic; they have almost as little value as a WWW-board. PhpBB, MercuryBoard, and Ikonboard are better, but they still would be considered mediocre by my standards. All of them clearly copied UBB, and while I dislike UBB also, I don't like rip-offs either.
    Just curious on whether you've actually seen phpBB2
    It's supersleek, and has a sweet layout.
    Much easier to install/use, and is compeletely customizable via the templets.

Funny that you say that phpBB is loaded with unessary features, but then you say that one site finally moved to vB which has MORE feathures that phpBB.

Also with them choosing a host you can't get to.
    phpBB is open source. They aren't getting paid for this, and thus can't afford a great big host. the forums are on sourceforge.net, and the main phpBB page is hosting by intrahost. (the forums were on intrahost b4, but it used WAY too much bandwidth, and had to be taken off)

Here's some examples of phpBB2:
    http://rfworld.levels4you.com/
    http://www.3dartisan.net/forums

Note the first link works sometimes - the host is a friend of mine who doens't know how to run a dedi.

the second link is just me testing phpBB2 on my yet to open site.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Defender1
    Just curious on whether you've actually seen phpBB2
    It's supersleek, and has a sweet layout.
    Much easier to install/use, and is compeletely customizable via the templets.

Funny that you say that phpBB is loaded with unessary features, but then you say that one site finally moved to vB which has MORE feathures that phpBB.

Also with them choosing a host you can't get to.
    phpBB is open source. They aren't getting paid for this, and thus can't afford a great big host. the forums are on sourceforge.net, and the main phpBB page is hosting by intrahost. (the forums were on intrahost b4, but it used WAY too much bandwidth, and had to be taken off)

Here's some examples of phpBB2:
    http://rfworld.levels4you.com/
    http://www.3dartisan.net/forums

Note the first link works sometimes - the host is a friend of mine who doens't know how to run a dedi.

the second link is just me testing phpBB2 on my yet to open site.
    Of course I have seen phpBB! The bottom is starting to look like YaBB, while the rest is looking more and more like a copy of the original UBB and Ikonboard. Why can't anyone come up with a new design?

BTW, I can access sourceforge.net, but phpbb.sourceforge.net is blocked. I can't access the Area51 URL either. It seems like all the links to the phpBB site are intentionally blocked. I can download the file (from the Sourceforge main page), but I can't see their support forums. Totally pathetic!
    WebsiteForums - Best webmaster discussion on the net!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back to the origional discussion, which BB it easiest to customise and build into your own website / application?

I've built a simple Intranet for use at work and I want to provide a bulletin board within it.

The Intranet handles security with sessions and so has it's own user list etc. (basically I'm including a header / footer php script to deal with security)

What I'm looking for is one where I can easily strip out all user authentication provided in the BB.

The Intranet also has "groups" - we want to share it with some of our customers. Some of the BB forums should remain invisible depending on which group you're a member of.

So basically I'm looking for a BB where I can take the actual thread posting code and drop it into my Intranet.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpBB2 does have groups.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing is not force Intranet users to re-register for the forum.

Had a look at integrating phpBB (which in general is an excellent BB in my opinion) with one of the 1.x versions but came to the conclusion it would be easier to write my own.

But I'll check out v2 and see what's possible.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[...] The bottom is starting to look like YaBB, while the rest is looking more and more like a copy of the original UBB and Ikonboard. Why can't anyone come up with a new design?
    Something called usability?