SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSS - Please tell me all about

Please tell me more about how RSS works in promotion and how to have it...how effective it is.

Thanks

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS is an XML format typically used to syndicate blog posts. It's a set of items where each item contains a URL, title and description, as well as a number of other optional details.

All major blog software will generate an RSS feed from your blog posts automatically so that people can subscribe to that feed using a feed reader or an online service like Newsgator. This lets them know immediately when you've added a new post to your site.

In addition, some sites allow their feeds to be used to syndicate their content onto other sites. For this you would include the entire contents of each post in the feed, and other sites would integrate a feed parser into their website to retrieve your feed and display the headlines or posts on their site as well as yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is important? can get traffic through it?

If I have a forum, can I use this by adding a code?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS is important to target market your audiance.

Saying this I had a RSS feed going which has stopped I was using this feed <a href="http://jade.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/feed/feed2js.php?

I cant open the site so guessing this is the reason. Does anyone have idea on how I would get the feed going again and any cost free sites or programs that would help?

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSS could be considered important if you're catering to a technical audience.

Outside of technical people, very few use RSS readers or even know what they are.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    RSS could be considered important if you're catering to a technical audience.

Outside of technical people, very few use RSS readers or even know what they are.
    Not true.

Wisely using RSS you can enhance your position in search engine results for necessary keywords. Having good position in SERPs for necessary keywords is very likely to bring you even not technical people.
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could find many artiles about RSS at: http://www.hotcoding.com/geek/rss/