SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: IE Alternatives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE Alternatives

I noticed many of you use Opera...may I ask what chose you to pick it over the other optional browsers that are available? I don't know much about Opera, other than it's smaller than other browsers, and it's not free (or at least the free version has ads).

I have IE6, NS4.7, and Mozilla 0.9.6. Can I assume that if my site looks alright in Mozilla, it'll look fine in NS6? As a webdesigner should I collect browsers like stamps? Or should I just be happy with what I have and just continue testing with these browsers?
    My mom thinks I'm cool!

You want what? By when?? Milamber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be a half-assed web developer like myself, test your pages in ie 5.5 on pc. To get better, test that same page on netscape 4.7. To get better, test it in ns 6. To be even better, test it on mac in IE 5.5.

However, the best, most well done pages should be tested in all those above and NS on mac (4.7 and 6.2) as well as Opera.

Also, about the mozilla question - no it won't look the same as in NS6 - they are different apps and will perform differently (I assume...)

Of couse, if you test with every browser, and reformat, and refomat, and fix, and fix, you're going to end up with a page with nothing but <P> tags - so you have to learn to compromise. Good Luck!
    -Jeff Minard | jrm.cc - Battlefield 2 Stats

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: IE Alternatives

Originally posted by Trillian
    Can I assume that if my site looks alright in Mozilla, it'll look fine in NS6?
    Yes. It's the same browsing engine in both.

Originally posted by Trillian
    As a webdesigner should I collect browsers like stamps?
    It depends on what you test with. The reason a lot of use and like Opera is because it's the most standards-compliant browser I know of, at least. The rule of thumb goes that if your site renders well in Opera, then the rest of the browsers should all fall in line.

In practice, it doesn't always work that way, particularly with older browsers that don't support style sheets, but it works fine most of the time.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice part with opera is, that if your site works in opera, it most likely works in everything else. (Except in NS4.7, of course, since nothing works in that browser )

If your site looks fine in Mozilla, there is a good chance that it will work in NS.

[edit - Damn you colon! Beat me to it!]
    Last edited by M. Johansson; Jan 4, 2002 at 00:04.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by truelight
    If your site looks fine in Mozilla, there is a good chance that it will work in NS.
    There's a better-than-good chance it'll look exactly the same, because except for surface details, it is the same.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test with Netscape 6.0, IE 6.0 and Opera 5.0, if the site views good in all three of those browsers, then I check out Netscape 4.x, if it looks pretty bad in Netscape 4.x then I'll go and try to fix the major problems.

It seems that Netscape gives me the most problems, I wish that Netscape 4.x would go jump off a bridge!

By The Way does Opera or Netscape 6.x support Iframes?

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chuckie
    ...and Opera 5.0...
    Pssst: download Opera 6.

Originally posted by Chuckie
    By The Way does Opera or Netscape 6.x support Iframes?
    If you use a loose DTD, then yes. I believe this goes for HTML as well as XHTML, but don't hold me to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test my sites with IE 6.0, 5.5 Netscape 4.7, 6.0
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find opera far pickier than any other browser and you may be surprised to find you site won't look right in opera compared to netscape.

I personally have Opera, nn4.7, netscape 6.2, ie.6 and access to ie5.5 for testing. OOps and I have Mozilla too

For personal use after using all of these I still prefer the speed of IE. Although Opera has some toys in it useful to any developer
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I use Opera6 a lot because of its speed in rendering, accessibility and options. Although IE opens up faster than Opera seems to on my machine, IE also takes a lot longer to render a page. When ever I have to use IE, now, it feels so slow. Unfortunately, Opera doesn't have the same set of plug-ins available and doesn't support Java, though. :-(

Anyway, I try to test on Windows 2000 (because that's all I have) with IE6, NS6, NS4, NS3, a voice browser, Lynx and, of course, Opera (versions 5 and 6). Consequently, I don't get nearly as much work as I should done. :-)

For a plethora of browsing options, check out evolt's browser archive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloaded Opera 6 tonight to add to my collection of browsers. Now I have four to play with, huzzah. I liked how fast it loaded, and the layout I'm using with frames looks good in all the browsers I have. The only exception is with NS4.7; you can navigate but it looks messed up. Grr.

<off topic>
    [playing off a Simpsons quote]
    Lionel Hutz: Good for you, son. If there's anything this world needs more of, it's web browsers. I mean, can you imagine an Internet with just one browser?

[Hutz imagines all the web designers and developers of the world rejoicing and shudders]
    </off topic>
    My mom thinks I'm cool!

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by colon//

There's a better-than-good chance it'll look exactly the same, because except for surface details, it is the same.
    Yes and no. While Netscape does indeed use code from the mozilla project, they are not the same versions. Something might work in mozilla, because it got fixed in the latest version, but since Netscape uses old mozilla code, it might not work in NS.

The chance is very slim, though.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com