I am curious where most webmasters stand today on the use of DHTML, Layers, and allowance for 640 x 480 screen resolution. I don't know where there is open access to the best Internet statistics, but from what I have seen less than 10% of all people use browsers below 4x, and somewhere around 10% of all people use a 640 x 480 monitor resolution. I can't vouch for their accuracy, but I don't think they are too far off. Granted, Netscape 4.x is hardly state of the art in regards to DHTML, etc., but at least the technology is somewhat usable.

Does everyone feel comfortable yet with using DHTML, Layers, and allowing a horizontal scroll bar for screen resolutions less than 800 x 600? So far I have been quite conservative in designing web sites, but I am wondering how much longer I will remain so. At the very least, I suspect that by January & February of 2001, after the latest round of Christmas computer purchases, the number of individuals who won't have at least a 4.x browser (and better, a 5.x browser) and 800 x 600 screen resolution will be negligible, and at the very least they will probably be used to seeing the horizontal screen bar. I'm seeing them now at 800 x 600, and even at places like Infoseek!

Who has made the jump, and if not, when do you think that you'll make it?