User Tag List

Thread: Help with query

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with query

I have two tables poems and pcomments. I'm trying to display the last 5 commented poems, but I don't want repeating poems. So if the two newest comments are for one poem, I want that poem displayed only once, not twice. I tried a join query but I suck at joins and the people in the MySQL forum said it was a php problem, so I'm here.

Code:
    poems
    poem_id
    title - used to create a url link
    rtitle - actual poem title

pcomments
    pc_id
    poem_id
    posted
    I have more fields but figured these are the relevant ones for the problem. I need to grab the title and rtitle of the 5 last commented poems, not poem comments. Any help would be appreciated!!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 700lbGorilla View Post
    the people in the MySQL forum said it was a php problem
    Don't see how that could be if this is what you posted; there's no clue that you're using any particular language here...

Code:
    SELECT 
      poem_id, 
      title, 
      rtitle
    FROM poems
    WHERE poem_id IN (
      SELECT DISTINCT poem_id
      FROM pcomments
      ORDER BY posted DESC
      LIMIT 5
    )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted my query there to, forgot to post it here, sorry. I'll give that a try though thank you, allow it looks like it makes sense, I still don't understand joins.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it probably would work, but: This version of MySQL doesn't yet support 'LIMIT & IN/ALL/ANY/SOME subquery'

This was my old query:
    PHP Code:
    "SELECT p.title, p.rtitle, p.poem_id, max(c.posted) AS latestcomment FROM poems p JOIN pcomments c ON c.poem_id = p.poem_id GROUP by p.poem_id ORDER BY latestcomment DESC LIMIT 5"

Passionate Web Developer Egyptechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a good idea for you, will improve your dbdesign ..

alter 1 field in poems table called "comments"

anytime, you add a comment to pcomments , increase the value of " comments " by 1

anytime you delete a comment from pcomments , decrease the value of " comments " by 1

then the query at the end will look like :
    PHP Code:
    mysql_query("select poem_id, rtitle from poems where comments != 0 order by poem_id desc limit 5"); 

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea, but I hate unnecessary query inserts, but I got the join working and it is working fine.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note that it's been almost 3 years since MySQL 4.1 went production-ready, and the current version is 5.1. To not support subqueries you're running a very old copy and it might be time to upgrade

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm through a host so can't do much about it, I know it sucks. They are running PHP 5.1.6, but yeah, still 4.1 for MySQL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 700lbGorilla View Post
    still 4.1 for MySQL.
    4.1 is fine, that's the first version that supported subqueries. I must've made a mistake if that query above didn't run on 4.1. Anyway, most (but not all) subqueries can be rewritten as joins, so glad you got it working either way.