SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appealing to the Senses

Hello, I'm starting a new website which is diverse from all other sites I have created. I have made plenty of web-forums, however now I'm working on a site for stories (pretty much a blogging site in short).

Unlike the forums I have created before, Iím having difficulty figuring out the most productive way to create a successful site. The questions I keep asking myself are:

- What type of templates do blog readers find attractive
    - Should I create 1 blogging site with multiple topics, or multiple blogging sites with single topics
    - Should I promote memberships or keep to a guest orientated site

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf1nity View Post
    - What type of templates do blog readers find attractive
    Readable ones.

- Should I create 1 blogging site with multiple topics, or multiple blogging sites with single topics
    I think that depends on how diverse the topics and the focus of the site. Personal blogs are often all over the place--the common tie being that they're the thoughts of the author. Business blogs (like Signal vs. Noise) or for-profit topical Weblogs, Inc.-style blogs (like engadget) should be more focused on a single topic, or group of related topics. It depends on what you are trying to do.

- Should I promote memberships or keep to a guest orientated site
    I am only speaking for myself, but I generally don't bother commenting on blogs that require me to sign up to comment.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to require membership you should also have something more for the members, such as a forum for discussing the topic you cover. I don't think registration simply to post a blog comment is enough (although, maybe would work for very high traffic blogs). Also, might want to keep blog commenting open at least until you are receiving a steady flow of comments from registered members.

I've read on a number of blogs where the author answered the question of what they would do differently. One thing many had in common was that they would separate their blog topics into different blogs to create several niche blogs instead of a single blog covering many niches.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for your advice