SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving from phpBB to vbulletin Issues

Hello All - I'm considering upgrading from phpbb to vbulletin, and need some feedback. First, how difficult is converting the DB or importing it to VB?

Next, I'd like to be able to have users pay to post in certain areas (pay per post) similar to how Sitepoint has it set up. Is this a standard mod, or do I need to find a customized solution for this?

Last, I currently have one main rss feed that I get a ton of traffic from. I don't want to change and lose all of the traffic. I'm sure there is some kind of rss feed from VB - is there a way to have it be named the same as my phpbb feed? (FORUMNAME.com/rss.php)

ANy and all help here would be great! Thanks everyone.

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

It's pretty easy with Impex, you should check that out, it is in your members area of vBulletin.com. I believe it is a customized hack that is used here although you may be able to find something similar at vBulletin.org I think it is named the same thing by default.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in May I moved a phpBB based site over to vB and had no problems whatsoever.

Regarding your RSS feed, you could probably hack vB's code to make it work the way you need. Although, I would recommend that instead of modifying vB's code you modify the original rss.php file to point to vB's feed data. That way you shouldn't need to reapply the *fix* whenever vB upgrades are available.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pay for post thing can be done using the subscriptions part of VB. Very easy to do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats very easy just use impex in VB everything will be fine just with a click

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about SEO? What I mean is . . . I wonder how much of a traffic loss I'll see due to this switchover. I have many backlinks to the forums. This is actually my biggest fear right now. Is this a valid concern?

What would everyone recommend I do about this?
    We've got over 3200 members and over 12,000 posts.

One more thing. . . is there a mod for VB similar to topics_anywhere.php? (phpbb)

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very easy to do. I have two bits of important advice on that....

1. Make backups. Make at least two backups, one for a backup, and one to use to do the conversion. Don't convert on your primary database.

2. Take advantage of the wonderful support that the vBulletin support team offers. They're top of the line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't have any problems with impex. used it too, 2 months ago and it all went smooth. As for the support on VB, never tried it. I usually find the answers myself or ask in the forums.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigp
    What about SEO? What I mean is . . . I wonder how much of a traffic loss I'll see due to this switchover. I have many backlinks to the forums. This is actually my biggest fear right now. Is this a valid concern?

What would everyone recommend I do about this?
    We've got over 3200 members and over 12,000 posts.
    Chances are that the new thread locations on your site will be picked up by Google before the old IPB threads are dropped from the Google index. You could possibly end up with a bit more traffic for a while, although I don't know for certain about that as it would be duplicated content.

Just make sure that you at least have a 404 error page that will redirect all non-functioning links back to your site and not use the default 404 error that will cost you traffic.

vB's importer I believe also has a tool that can help you to setup redirection so that all old threads & posts indexed by Google and other search engines are automatically redirected to the proper place within your vB install.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Enthusiast willow1872's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanii View Post
    The pay for post thing can be done using the subscriptions part of VB. Very easy to do.
    Do you have any guidelines on setting that up? I need all users to be able to view the forum and reply but they would need to pay to list their stuff for sale.