SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy cydewaze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering if this is possible (math functions)

I'm needing to build a page that does some math functions, namely mortgage-type calculations.

Ideally, I would like to have a form with several input boxes containing default values that the user could change. After filling out the pertinent info, the user would be able to click a submit button and the script would populate some other input boxes on the lower portion of the page with the results.

So the question is, can javascript be used to actually populate form input boxes?

Currently there's an Excel spreadsheet that does all this, but I've been asked to post it to the web, and Excel isn't 508 compliant (aside from the fact that the user may not even have Excel to open the thing with) so I'm wanting to re-create this via HTML/JS. But before I start, I need to know if it's even doable, or will the results have to appear on a seperate page.

Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have budget calculator I wrote for my wife that does exactly this. Check it out at http://www.unitorganizer.com/mortgage.

Check out the JS file at http://www.unitorganizer.com/mortgage/js/mortgage.js

Note that I also use cookies (using the jQuery library) to store the information for the next time so my wife doesn't have to re-enter the values each time.

I was thinking about doing something similar for my taxes.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy cydewaze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I'll be trying to do, although for a completely different purpose.

Thanks again.