SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need an advice...

Well I guess this post will sound more like a rant than anything else but I need some kind of suggestion of how would you react and what would you do in situation like this.

I just started to work for a company and they hired me as a web developer, they already have one person that has been with them for the last 6 months. Anyway they have web application that is a total mess the code, the structure, the database, all of it. They call it legacy code and there are a huge parts of the application that is hard coded. I don't know how to describe it to you code-wise is something like the old osCommerce, structure-wise well there isn't define structure, all kinds of files that are used or not can be find anywhere. Let's say that half of the application code can be stored in database, but all of that is stored into files, php or not, that are constantly updated by hand.

On my second day I suggested that we have to do some major changes in the application organization, structure, etc to be able to maintain and continue working and improving the code. Because 6 months or an year ahead the code will become unmaintainable, honestly that had to be done 6 months or an year before. However I was cut of the by the "lead developer" with the response "do it like me the cowboy style"; don't care about the structure just open few files add a patch and go home. I tried to speak out and I was given the red light what should I do? what would you do in situation like that?

... oh did I mention there is no documentation and code standards whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to be sneaky and start writing good code without telling anyone. Next time you need to add functionality (time permitting) create classes for any common stuff you will require such as db connection, authentication etc. Then use those new classes, even if you don't change any other parts of the app to use them yet.
    Maybe even generate some PHP documentation and make reference to it in your code comments.

Hopefully over time your approach may gain a critical mass to get some support without having a political situation where you need to but heads with the "lead" developer.

Although, if he doesn't know OOP he may not think much of your code.

Ideally one day you'll be able to add a feature very quickly by reusing some code you've built up and get some one's attention. Explain that you were able to extend the system because you invested the effort in creating something modular, logical and reusable earlier.

If that fails get the lead developer drunk at the Christmas party and blackmail him with some unflattering photos to come around to your way of thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don’t need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don’t need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free

(Paul Simon)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd talk to your boss and find out what he/she wants. Let your boss know some of your ideas (don't try to take on every problem at once) and let your boss make the decisions, not the other developer.

I've worked for a company that wanted quick-and-dirty changes during certain times when things were moving quickly. Then, over time, we did go back and rewrite when we had time.

Good luck.
    PHP Shopping Cart Software Easy Ecommerce Shopping Cart Script.
    PHP Super Cart is 100% template driven.