SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MENU tag - W3C on crack?

Seriously, with all the talk of semantic markup, why in the blazes did they yoink MENU from the 'STRICT' specifications? It certainly would be more descriptive than using a 'plain jane' UL...

Just asking.

I'd have said 'deprecated' above, but I don't feel like being condescending to the menu tag or talking to it like it was a five year old - which I'd have said depreciated but that would just piss off all the people who see nothing wrong with 'oh the humanity' and 'mute points'.

But then, from day one I've been trying to figure out why HTML has 6 levels of headers and no footers.

Again, W3C, about as logical as a crack whore with PMS.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt even know <menu> existed.. And I bet most people here didnt know that either

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    But then, from day one I've been trying to figure out why HTML has 6 levels of headers and no footers.
    Good point.

Also, why are they gtting rid of center tag? It seems stupid to me.

They preach about ease of navigation and sites looking the same all the way through? The w3c site has pages with just text and no way of getting back...

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, with all the talk of semantic markup, why in the blazes did they yoink MENU from the 'STRICT' specifications? It certainly would be more descriptive than using a 'plain jane' UL...
    According to the HTML 3.2 specification:
    These elements have been part of HTML from the early days. They are intended for unordered lists similar to UL elements. User agents are recommended to render DIR elements as multicolumn directory lists, and MENU elements as single column menu lists. In practice, Mosaic and most other user agents have ignored this advice and instead render DIR and MENU in an identical way to UL elements.
    It seems as if the W3C adapted their specification in accordance with real-world usage; something they are sometimes vociferously accused of not doing.

HTML does not have headers at all. It have 6 levels of headings, but that has nothing to do with footers.

Again, W3C, about as logical as a crack whore with PMS.
    Writing technical specifications is no easy task. They must be completely unambiguous for implementors to be able to use them. A generic markup language like HTML must also be suited for all sorts of documents, not only graphics-heavy, Flash-infested sources of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by mikexx2020 View Post
    Also, why are they gtting rid of center tag? It seems stupid to me.
    Because presentation should not be mixed with content. It should be handled by CSS, which is fully capable of centring elements.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <menu> is back with a brand new jacket in HTML5 (work in progress), though not intended for navigation menus but more for toolbars and context menus (i.e., for applications, not for documents).

There are also headers and footers and a way to use more than six levels of headings (by nesting sectioning elements).
    Simon Pieters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    It seems as if the W3C adapted their specification in accordance with real-world usage; something they are sometimes vociferously accused of not doing.
    If they truly wanted to tackle real-world usage issues couldn't they of found a better contender than the menu item? It's never used anyway. But I guess thats the point.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem was that browser vendors didn't bother to support MENU properly. There didn't seem to be a 'market demand', so the W3C responded appropriately and deprecated the element type.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane