User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PR6 to PR0 after redesign?

Hello,

I own www.andrewcharron.com . Now, my site had a PR of 6 when I had my old design. The design was located at www.andrewcharron.com/v3 and I set up a redirect in cPanel (as permanant) from www.andrewcharron.com to www.andrewcharron.com/v3 .

Now when I redesigned my site, I decided I should put it in the base directory, so it is located at www.andrewcharron.com. I read that google would list www.andrewcharron.com, andrewcharron.com and www.andrewcharron.com/index.php as seperate sites, so I set up cPanel perminant redirects for www, andrewcharron.com, and andrewcharron.com to www.andrewcharron.com/index.php, as well as www.andrewcharron.com/v3 and /v3/index.php.

However, google toolbar now reads, and has since I put the site up like this over a month ago, as a PR of 0. When I type in the address in a PR detecting website, it still reads as a PR of 6. How can I change this so it is set up correctly? As well, does anyone notice any problems with the way the site is set up?

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to redirect everything to the root, not index.php. All redirects and links in your case should point to www.andrewcharron.com. You may also have to wait for the toolbar PR to update (about every 3-4 months).

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCharron View Post
    When I type in the address in a PR detecting website, it still reads as a PR of 6.
    You can't put any stock in those sites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you want to just put it back to your original domain .com instead of .com/index.... or .v3 you should get your pr back if you haven't done anything bad.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can get clear picture after google next update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google has an annoying habit of seeing redesigns as NEW websites, alas it will remove all previous PR merit. This CAN rectify itself so there is no need to start panicking yet.

You will likely see movements within the next few months as GG determines your websites value.

Did you change the hosting when you redesigned your website? A different IP address and a change in design can cause problems.
    comical to a degree.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just be patient, time will bring the result - google is not updating "now", it takes a while...........
    I recommend: cool down if you are hot
    (NOW)
    ---
    ICQ 417649206

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PR on the Google tool bar is assigned to individual URL's, and is only a snap shot of what the internal Google PR is. There will be another update around end of Jan, just make sure everything is 301 re-directed to your TLD and it should be alright.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does google update PR for new sites. I had my website launched in september but still google have not assigned any PR.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monstie View Post
    Did you change the hosting when you redesigned your website? A different IP address and a change in design can cause problems.
    The change of IP address doesnít affect the rankings of a website but yea if the IP address keeps on changing to different webhosts frequently then it will raise doubt with the bots and that may affect the ranking or result in penalization of the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azutrum View Post
    The change of IP address doesnít affect the rankings of a website but yea if the IP address keeps on changing to different webhosts frequently then it will raise doubt with the bots and that may affect the ranking or result in penalization of the site.
    Hi Azutrum! I have had many conversations where people have changed JUST the host, keeping the design exactly the same, and Google have dropped them and their PR. Seems they can be a little sensative at times.

I have also heard a few reports about people simply adding a large chunk to a website at any one time and being dropped as a result. Though this is what they are saying it's sometimes difficult to assess whether this is all that has happened.
    comical to a degree.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monstie View Post
    Hi Azutrum! I have had many conversations where people have changed JUST the host, keeping the design exactly the same, and Google have dropped them and their PR. Seems they can be a little sensative at times.

I have also heard a few reports about people simply adding a large chunk to a website at any one time and being dropped as a result. Though this is what they are saying it's sometimes difficult to assess whether this is all that has happened.
    Hello Monstie, you must have had conversations regarding this topic but i'll be glad to let you know that the rankings cannot be dropped by the change in the IP address and that is a definite thing my friend as per what i have researched till now.
    There must be a lot of people who must have seen a drop in the SERPís while switching to a different host if their site must have been offline for one or more days when changing the webhost.
    If you change your host to a different country then that will affect but if the hosting company changes in the same country than thatís fine.
    One can also check that the other sites on the IP are not spammy as that can also be a reason in the drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azutrum - I'm not saying this happens everytime

I used to be a very active member of Search Engine Forums and I often saw this problem cropping up with other members. I just paid a quick visit to the forums and couldnt find anything recent regarding this issue so maybe/hopefully this has been fixed.
    comical to a degree.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea ryte Monstie , nice to know that but Iím sure you can find some good info. regarding this issue from a couple of high-quality forums which are out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azutrum View Post
    Yea ryte Monstie , nice to know that but Iím sure you can find some good info. regarding this issue from a couple of high-quality forums which are out there.
    Azutrum this is how flaming begins, don't patronise me please. I am not lying, nor am I old enough to develop Alzheimer's disease.

If you've not been round long enough to know then best practice is to stay mute. Like you said yourself only a month ago:

"I'm new into web-designing and SEO"

Cockiness will get you nowhere, anyone who knows what they're talking about will shoot you down. You will learn this as you go. Good luck.
    comical to a degree.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Azutrum this is how flaming begins, don't patronise me please. I am not lying, nor am I old enough to develop Alzheimer's disease.
    Well Monstie, seems like you are totally flamed up but let me tell you one thing that I wasnít patronizing you and I also know that you werenít lying as well people with that disease wonít be around here I guess.

If you've not been round long enough to know then best practice is to stay mute. Like you said yourself only a month ago:

"I'm new into web-designing and SEO"
    Yea I know Iím new into it but I will be more than happy to let people know the right thing if they are unaware of it and I think a month is a good span to do some research so stop being a goof please.

Cockiness will get you nowhere, anyone who knows what they're talking about will shoot you down. You will learn this as you go. Good luck.
    No oneís being cocky out here as whatever I mentioned in my earlier post was with good intentions and was not being offensive or anything like that but I canít really help the way you think Ďbout it.
    Life is a learning process and there is lotta stuff to happen like I learned something from our conversation also.

Anyways in the end I would just tell you that if I offended you in any way I apologize for that so just take a chill-pill and yea ATB.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway personal attack should not be allowed, this is not going to solve the problem of the thread starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we've had a misunderstanding. Truce Azutrum, we're all here to learn/share etc.

Sorry to go off topic Andrew, I guess the plus point is that your thread keeps being bumped up lol
    comical to a degree.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

I did what was suggested, and I got the PR back to 6 on the main page by removing redirects. However, I heard there was a google update, and my PR is now zero once again. Is it true they updated? And do you know why mine would plummet to a PR of 0 with approx 1300 incomming links?