SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas for an Online Phone Book

I am trying to put together an online phone book for my company's Intranet. I am using a CMS and although I could use Community Builder to add a phone number for each employee what I need is something a little different.

I have thought about a database with a table for the department, employee name, phone number(s), and department nicknames but did not know if someone had done something like this before.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Also it does not have to be a module or component for a CMS, it can be outside of the CMS.

Thanks,

Dan

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you all have exchange or some sort of directory services/groupware? If so, that is the place it really belongs. Or, at worst, the place you should be pulling data from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Exchange but not all employees have email. Also we have some pool numbers that are not assigned to any one person. The third issue is that we have some departments that seem to change their name every year. For example, Purchasing is also known as the following: Materials Management, Resource Management, Shipping/Receiving, Stock Room, General Stores. So I need to be able to do a keyword search (department nickname from my first post).

I have all the data in an Excel spreadsheet but also want it to be updateable by a group of users.

Dan