User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Nt3N37 B4113R View Post
    Wow that is quite possibly the most nonsensical post I have ever read.
    Then you obviously never have lived the way I have -- Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if I've "made it" or not...

27. Married. 2 fantastic kids. Dream job (CEO of a funded web startup). Decent house, great income.

I'm not filthy stinking rich, but who knows I could be in 5 years.

I feel successful, though, because I'm pretty damned happy, pretty damned content, and enjoying the ride at this section of my life's journey.

Who knows where I'll be in 3 years though. I could be rich. I could be homeless (like the OP, I did a stint at being homeless awhile back).

But I'll continue to strive to find things I absolutely love to do.

To me, I've "made it". To others? Who knows.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W. View Post
    And that is the most important point of all: who cares what another person thinks of you or how successful you are in their eyes, the important thing is that you are happy and that is what it means to have it made. You sure sound like you have it made to me, not that it matters what I think -- Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is quite possibly the most nonsensical post I have ever read.
    It made sense to me. Let's all be friendly, now.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This isn't the place for religion everyone, sorry

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personaly, I prefer Charmin.
    Maybe Santa will bring you some for Christmas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sword- View Post
    -Think and Grow Rich
    -How to Win Friends and Influence People
    -7 Habits of Highly Effective People
    -Rich Dad Poor Dad
    -The Richest Man in Babylon
    -The Tipping Point
    Great list. I would also recommend The E-Myth by Michael Gerber and The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus prime View Post
    Great list. I would also recommend The E-Myth by Michael Gerber and The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki.
    I haven't read The Art of the Start, but I second the E-Myth recommendation - it opened my eyes in a lot many ways. It is on my all time list of best biz books.

The way this thread is heading now reminds me of something Mr. Jobs likes to say to motivate his Apple employees, "Real artists ship." (ship/release product regularly). Doesn't hurt that is for sure.

SitePoint Enthusiast Zoubinette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisOBrien View Post
    I am enjoying life while I am still young enough to enjoy life.
    Ooo la la!!! Please don't fret: you *can* enjoy life, even when you're an old(er) lady like me, who loves doing new things and loves the Internet and who finds life ever more enjoyable. Don't worry, be happy, and go for it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus prime View Post
    I strongly recommend Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. It was a major influence on me in my early 20's when I first started dealing with these issues. I still dip back in from time to time (it still sits on my desk today) - you can't beat the classics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W. View Post
    I'm not sure if I've "made it" or not...

27. Married. 2 fantastic kids. Dream job (CEO of a funded web startup). Decent house, great income.

I'm not filthy stinking rich, but who knows I could be in 5 years.

I feel successful, though, because I'm pretty damned happy, pretty damned content, and enjoying the ride at this section of my life's journey.

Who knows where I'll be in 3 years though. I could be rich. I could be homeless (like the OP, I did a stint at being homeless awhile back).

But I'll continue to strive to find things I absolutely love to do.

Yes I would say you have made it. You celebrate what you have and feel good about yourself and what you have achieved. You have had problems in the past and left them where they belong; in the past. You still have ambition and find joy in finding new things to do and if you became rich I have a feeling it wouldn't change the way you are or the way you think. Too many people have a problem or take a knock and don't seem to be able to get over it, resentment eats away at them and takes over their lives. Ambition is great, wealth is great because it empowers you to make other peoples lives better and you can't be wealthier than that or have any finer ambition.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marbly View Post
    That kind of satisfaction and happines cannot come from the outside.
    That is what Ive leaned in my happines pursuit. Outside things like your friends, partner(s), material perks (nice house, car, vacation), things you made (top level website, exquisite user experience, mind blowing photo art) can make you feel good - occasionally and only for a while.

But if you are after that constant feeling of satisfaction and self-content only you influence it and only you can make it happen. In the end it does boil down to healthy attitude towards life and yourself. Usually twenties are all about that - figuring yourself out, shaping your mind and attitude, and if youre lucky freeing yourself from the garbage of the past (bad parenting mostly).

You can find the perfect partner who adores you, and you adore him/her, and you get along excellent, and you can also have such a great material situation where you can afford to buy anything you wish etc etc, but you will still feel restless, deprived, like sth is missing if you arent happy with yourself.

This is why you can see lots of people who get really rich never say "Its enough" and never seem to be enjoying the fruits of their labour. They always want more and more cos they never feel satisfied, and they wrongly assume that if they arent happy with a million$ deal, it must be cos the happines lies in billion$ scale...

Ambition can be a good thing if it stems from you. It can be your drive, shot of adrenalin, source of energy, it gives you ideas that mold your mind for future projects, makes you feel ecstatic and proud after a job well done. But if your drive comes from the outside, if its what others have said that makes you work hard, and makes you achieve more, then youre on the losing path cos youll never feel satisfied no matter what you do and how high your bank account flies.

You can make your parents/teachers/bosses/cousins/friends eat their words, and it can be a very healthy event for you (i recommend it lol), but if you neglect yourself during all that frenzy your happines wont last at all. You will find you have achieved what youve been dreaming about for years (example: proving others they were wrong about you) and youll suddenly feel without purpose. Lots of people hit that terrifying wide blank area after completing an outside driven mission, and most of them dont recognize what its all about. They hurry to find another outside challenge thinking maybe this time they will find their holly grail.

With the risk of getting tomatoed here Ill put up my halo and say: The holly grail is within you!
    When you get yourself in shape (mentally), see yourself through your own eyes instead of through others, and turn the judgment spotlight back on those overly critiquing egos, youll see how blinded they are by their own misery. I guess thats whats called growing up.

Just make sure you put yourself first! The rest WILL follow
    ALL that you said was EXACTLY what I found out on the way searching for self-contentment. Before then I was in such an ambitious, anxious, obsessive state, in the crowd always worried about how I was in other eyes. The only time I dont feel anxious and hurried is when I sat down doing my work.
    That was before I found out the ultimate truth of happiness & self-contentment - it's is only inside you and no where else.

Oh and by the way, I've met people typical of the kind as described in astrology about those born under the Leo sign. If you understand them fully, you'll see where personal glory and inherent, permanent happiness ultimately come from - from inside. The fantastic thing about it is that: when you're completely content with yourself, you'll be happy to give the last penny in your pocket to those in need, and you'll be more than willing to work your way up to the top of the mountain to achieve wildest dreams. Life is such an interesting game. Live it the big way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    I'm at the stage in my career where I should probably be very happy. I am in a fantastic job, earning way, way above average for someone my age (In fact, probably well above average for someone ten years my senior) and living a lifestyle most people in their early twenties would take quite happily. It's wierd though, because three years ago to the day I was a complete mess; unemployed, living off the social, technically homeless and had quite literally not a penny to my name, yet I'm no more satisfied with life now than I was then.

I have this burning desire to do my own thing, to make myself a millionnaire from nothing. It's actually struck me that ambition is in fact a character defect rather than a quality, created by complete dissatisfaction and unhappiness in my current life. But ultimately, I want to be my own man, my own boss. And be immenssely wealthy with it. There are so many people in my life who thought I would fail at anything I tried. I've already proved them wrong, I just want to prove them even more wrong.

I've got what I believe to be a fantastic idea to bring myself this lifestyle I so desire. It's such a big project though, and it's so hard to see past the current day. So hard to keep going.

I need some inspiration. There must be plenty of people on here who have been where I am now. People who had the balls to do something and 'made it'. Made it to the stage in their life where they are completely happy.

I'd love to hear your stories...
    Ever since I first started messing around with computers back in 1996 I never had a normal job working for an employer... I was freelancing throughout college and after college when I got my degree in business administration with a focus on ebusiness, I decided to apply for a job. I got a very good job and worked there for about 4 months and left because I was not happy working for someone. I knew that I had much more potential and would probably be doing much better on my own. So I left after 4 months... my boss was not happy because during my employment at his company I had done so much... I signed a 3 year lease for an office and I had no idea how hard it really is to go on your own. After 1 year of struggling but not giving up the business started doing good and ever since it's been great, I'm so happy that I made this move and feel as If I've accomplished so much but still have bigger goals... I guess we are never happy with what we have... until we lose it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't made it.. i am poor student sometimes wondering if i will ever get a decent job or start something which actually provides my money instead of costs me money I just hope it happens before RSI takes the best of me.
    Go visit my site :-D you know you want to ;-)
    www.mech7.net

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't wait start working now ..freelance or otherwise.. and you would have built up quite a portfolio by the time you leave college.
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers,
    Ruby on Rails programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large or small worldly success may bring you a feeling of contentment. However, that feeling is short lived. Happiness is being content on where you are and what you have. Until you are content with having nothing, then you won't be fully content with any amount of business or monetary success. You'll always want more and that feeling of want will make you discontent with everything. Look at some celebrates who have had hugely successful careers and more money than they can spend. They start looking for crazy weird ways of finding happiness; plastic surgery, drugs, elicit sex, ect. They are not happy even though they have everything.

Happiness comes from being content with what you have and sharing what you have with other people.

Spiff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's crazy. Every time someone tells me how amazed they are by what my life has become over the lest few years, I'm always genuinly surprised because I myself don't feel like I've made it yet. For the record: I'm only 23.

At the age of 16, I started working for a large ISP while still in highschool. Today, I run my own award winning company, founded when I was 18 and now doing +250k a year with 3 employees. I got married at the age of 19 with my lovely wife Kirsten, who has two kids from an earlier marriage.

I'm also active in politics and probably running for the Belgian senate in may 2007.

Alltough I consider myself "succesful" in some ways and financially my life is on the right tracks, I feel like everything has only just begun and I have so much more to do and to discover. You can NEVER have enough plans, ambitions and dreams.
    ThaVincy | redesigning your image
    Twizted Imagebuilding personal and corporate reputation solutions

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaVincy View Post
    You can NEVER have enough plans, ambitions and dreams.
    Are you suggesting that if someone has few ambitions that it's not enough? Why must everyone plan and have such ambitions?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a guess, but a more accurate way of saying what I think he's trying to say is: "There's no such thing as too many plans, ambitions, and dreams."

I'm not sure that's true either, though.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All your replies are really a paragraph full of essence of whole life. But my approach towards life is different. At this moment I only want to explore and learn things from different departments and industries. I haven't restricted myself to any particulars. I will decide what I need to do and where I need to head after sometime. Success and failure are out of focus at this moment. What say?

With regards,
    Mandar Thosar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Spider View Post
    Mr. Buffet always looks happy during interviews, I think he loves what he does.

I'm in an exciting period for myself right now. Spent 5 years working with an ecommerce company, currently doing retail management and going back to school, and about to go part time to focus on web projects that have long overdue.

Everybody thinks I'm crazy and a loser, but it's about time I took some risk and finally made my dreams come true.
    respect, go for it...
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have made it in life, but not necessarily as a web designer. It would seem I have found my niche in life AGAIN, like I have in other interests before. Success is relative. I'm not famous and by no means am I rich, however I have a loving family and I like where I am geographically. You don't need to be rich and famous to say that you have made it. I'm content. That's what counts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by mobyme
    You are not going to like what I am going to say, however I am going to say it. Your problem revolves around a lack of self esteem and inner belief values. Deep down inside you still believe yourself to be that worthless individual who was in a complete mess, who somehow got lucky; hence your desire to prove people wrong or even more wrong about you, as you put it. You say that you have a fantastic idea and at the same time elude to imaginary hurdles; the size of the project, hard to see past the present day, hard to keep going. Your belief in yourself is frail, in short you are afraid of failure. The reason you feel so empty and unhappy is because you fear a fall, which in your mind will prove everybody else right after all. Take stock of yourself and ask yourself what would you do if you could not possibly fail.Treat every day as though it might be your last on earth, value everything. Treat everyone you meet with respect and kind words. Do something for someone without reward, get involved, learn to laugh at yourself. Each day will make you a little stronger and a little less empty until finally you will reach the point where your fantastic idea will seem easily achievable if you still desire it. I know that this forum is not really the place to give this sort of advice but I feel I would be letting you down if I did not respond. Whatever the outcome I really do wish you the best for the future.
    That was me for several years, never satisfied, afraid to fail. afraid to fail all who believed in me, or maybe the thought that others believed in me scared me to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by marbly View Post
    That kind of satisfaction and happines cannot come from the outside.
    That is what Ive leaned in my happines pursuit. Outside things like your friends, partner(s), material perks (nice house, car, vacation), things you made (top level website, exquisite user experience, mind blowing photo art) can make you feel good - occasionally and only for a while.

But if you are after that constant feeling of satisfaction and self-content only you influence it and only you can make it happen. In the end it does boil down to healthy attitude towards life and yourself. Usually twenties are all about that - figuring yourself out, shaping your mind and attitude, and if youre lucky freeing yourself from the garbage of the past (bad parenting mostly).

You can find the perfect partner who adores you, and you adore him/her, and you get along excellent, and you can also have such a great material situation where you can afford to buy anything you wish etc etc, but you will still feel restless, deprived, like sth is missing if you arent happy with yourself.

You can make your parents/teachers/bosses/cousins/friends eat their words, and it can be a very healthy event for you (i recommend it lol), but if you neglect yourself during all that frenzy your happines wont last at all. You will find you have achieved what youve been dreaming about for years (example: proving others they were wrong about you) and youll suddenly feel without purpose.

Just make sure you put yourself first! The rest WILL follow
    I have to agree with Marbly and mobyme. for many years i have struggled with EVERYTHING i have done (my crafts, my stories, my poems, my websites even, and over all my creativty) because i did not have the belief in myself that all my friends and family had. i was, and still am my own worse critic.
    i have put off doing my web sites, and publishing my writings because i do not have faith in myself, i did not belief i was good enough at any of it, even though everyone around me told me i was.
    now i am going to college to further my education in Graphic(web) design.
    i have not "made it" yet (in the sense of my career), and i don't want to be overly rich either. i would like to have enough money coming in to cover all our bills, cover our food, and still have money to get things on a whim. like if i want to buy supplies for my crafts, i don't want to have to worry whether we have enough money.
    i too also desire to work from my house, be my own boss,work on my own time, i have for 10 years now, but i also realize i may have to start out in a corporate place.
    I have "made it" however in how i live: some beliefs, living life to the fullest (or 1 day at a time at least), and NOT ALWAYS PROVING TO SOMEONE ELSE. i live life day to day, and know that some how i will manage. i give when i can, and pray when i can't.
    alot of members have said alot of things in here that are very true, andi can not quote every single one, but will say: i think this is a very good thread to have, even for beginners!
    Last edited by LadyBratte; Dec 22, 2006 at 00:05. Reason: needed to add to it

Don't take life for granted, you never know when ones time is up!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devomedia View Post
    I agree with mark brown. Money can't buy happiness--That's what Prozac is for. :-p

But seriously, learn to love your drive. Accept it. Maybe you won't ever be "happy" by traditional standards, but that's what keeps you driving forward.
    Money may not be able to drive happiness, but it sure makes being miserable a whole lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by planeboy747 View Post
    Money may not be able to drive happiness, but it sure makes being miserable a whole lot better.
    Amen to that!