SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 179
  1. #51
    SitePoint Enthusiast meRn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    There's a great example of a plan that likely won't lead to happiness! I've heard too many young people say, 'I just want to make my first million by xxx age'. Trust me, it won't change your life in the way that you think it will and the 'i want that money badly' mentality isn't even a good foundation for succesful business.
    There's so much thing that could've gone different ways if I had money.

    What's the reason any people walking on the earth starts a business then? and if you tell me "a baby's smile" I'm gonna kick you right in the stomach, lol.

  2. #52
    Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    aspen, you have some dangerous advice right there.
    Money is important in this life to be able to provide you and your family with necessities. Money can never buy lasting happiness. You will die unhappy no matter if you are poor or rich if you believe that.
    Off Topic:

    David Hume. I hate you sometimes....
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

    - Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

  3. #53
    Kiwi Fr00t jylyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meRn View Post
    What's the reason any people walking on the earth starts a business then? and if you tell me "a baby's smile" I'm gonna kick you right in the stomach, lol.
    I like money, and I would like to have more of it. But there are several other reasons why I'm starting a business of my own:

    1) I see something few other people are doing, and I think I can do it better than those few who are. I'm not the type of person who can pass an opportunity by without spending a great deal of time wondering how it would have been if I'd just taken the risk.

    2) It gives me a way to express my talents and creativity in my own way, without having to answer to someone who just wants me to shut up and do my job. (By the way, I'd like to point out that I believe my talents lie in the area of business and finance - I wouldn't recommend someone to start a business who was talented in, say, synchronised swimming, and had no idea about marketing or money management!)

    3) I hope that I can contribute something of value to society, not just through my products and services, but also through the way I choose to distribute any profits I may make. I'm a bit of a philanthropist at heart, and to me, the thought of making more money makes me happy because I love to daydream all sorts of convoluted ways in which I can use it to make a difference in the world. I guess that's your "baby's smile" but urgh, babies are ugly and snotty... you can keep them!

    4) I want to be able to look back on my life and be satisfied that I achieved something. To be able to point at something and say 'if it weren't for me, that wouldn't exist'. Sure, I'll fail, but I'd rather screw it all up and start again several times over than spend my years wasting away in a back-office with occasional trips to the water cooler...

  4. #54
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,095
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:
    David Hume. I hate you sometimes....
    Actually, i'm unfamiliar with the philosophy of David Hume -
    It's just common sense to me, not to place so much importance on something that can so quickly fade to nothing.
    If you can put money in it's rightful place you can start spending/earning it wisely.

  5. #55
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the thing. You have to identify what makes you happy first, before you start pursuing it. Discover what you value. Its different for everyone.

    Often, you will find that it requires money, sometimes lots of money, to remove the barriers to what makes you happy.

    People who say money cant buy you happiness are simply parroting social crap in my opinion. They will say things like, family, friends, children, are whats important.

    Guess what? Spending time with your family, requires money. Money for a car, money for gas, insurance etc. It also requires time. Well, if you have to work all the time for a living, that limits the time you have to spend time with friends and families and to develop relationships. Children make you happy? How about healthy educated children? Who's going to pay for quality healthcare and college? If you value children, how happy are you going to be when they ignorant and living on the streets because you have no money to provide well for them??

    If you had a billion dollars in the bank tomorrow, imagine how much time you would have to pursue all those things the people claim money cant buy :wink:

    Sorry to burst bubbles, but reality is, money has the ability to enhance anyones life by giving them the time to pursue what they really love and to provide for those they love. Not to mention, upkeep of your personal health. Hard to be happy when you are sick and diseased.

  6. #56
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    aspen, you have some dangerous advice right there.
    Money is important in this life to be able to provide you and your family with necessities. Money can never buy lasting happiness. You will die unhappy no matter if you are poor or rich if you believe that.
    Says who? Some trite saying? Did you not read the rest of my post?

    But thanks for saying I'll die unhappy because I see the freedom money provides as a path to happiness. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

    ps... since you said never and even underlined it, you seem fairly certain. Is this based off personal experience? How many lives have you lived and been reincarnated from to come to this observation? Or did you do a survey? If so, how about sharing some numeric figures? Perhaps you saw a show on TV where the greedy miser was unhappy and assumed that such a scenario applies to everyone.

    Please, you must, must, have more than a proverb and a stereotype to make such bold statement. I mean you said never, with an underline. That is emphatic.

    pps. Some people have done surveys, you'll note it is far more complicated than a 4 word saying would lead you to believe.

    http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...16_money.shtml
    http://www.forbes.com/work/2004/09/2...happiness.html
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...244918438.html

    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  7. #57
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaster View Post
    Here is the thing. You have to identify what makes you happy first, before you start pursuing it. Discover what you value. Its different for everyone.

    Often, you will find that it requires money, sometimes lots of money, to remove the barriers to what makes you happy.

    People who say money cant buy you happiness are simply parroting social crap in my opinion. They will say things like, family, friends, children, are whats important.

    Guess what? Spending time with your family, requires money. Money for a car, money for gas, insurance etc. It also requires time. Well, if you have to work all the time for a living, that limits the time you have to spend time with friends and families and to develop relationships. Children make you happy? How about healthy educated children? Who's going to pay for quality healthcare and college? If you value children, how happy are you going to be when they ignorant and living on the streets because you have no money to provide well for them??

    If you had a billion dollars in the bank tomorrow, imagine how much time you would have to pursue all those things the people claim money cant buy :wink:

    Sorry to burst bubbles, but reality is, money has the ability to enhance anyones life by giving them the time to pursue what they really love and to provide for those they love. Not to mention, upkeep of your personal health. Hard to be happy when you are sick and diseased.
    exactly my point. The two main reasons I strive for more is to better provide for my family and to have more freedom to be with them.

    Not that I work 80 hour weeks now. I work from home and usually put in around 20 (I don't know... does forum posting and stat checking count as work?). But I'm still working to earn more money, in ways that aren't tied to my labor. I just closed a deal that should bring in an extra $200k a year over 7 years starting in 2008. Possibly more. I already make really good money, but just because I do is no reason to pass on a good business opportunity to make more.

    Some people who work 80 hour weeks in some corporate rat race probably should stop and reevaluate what they really want in life. But do not stereotype everyone who wants to be wealthier, some of us don't need to sacrificed our time/hobbies/etc to do so. Like I said in my first post, it is about working smarter, not working harder.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  8. #58
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, "Money can't buy happiness" is a bit trite. It would be more accurate to say "Money can't GUARANTEE happiness" or "Money ALONE can't buy happiness."

    In fact, most normal people need money to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. How can one have a relationship without money?

    How one obtains money is another matter. Part of the allure of the high-tech industry, particularly the Internet, is the incredible freedom it offers. I mean, what could be better than being self-employed, with your office inside a wireless MacBook Pro laptop?

    On the other hand, we should always remember that there's no free lunch. I'm sure I'm not the only aspiring webmaster who is shocked at the enormous time commitment often required to succeed online.

    I was actually on the verge of making it several years ago, but I had to balance web publishing with a day job and political activism. Ironically, getting laid off actually helped my online ventures, because I had so much more time to devote to them. However, I'm finding it very difficult to regain the ground I've lost.

    Still, I'm finding the Internet even more alluring as the economy continues to spiral downward (here in the U.S.). I would imagine many people in other nations find the Internet even more lucrative.

    Once you get it together financially, you can kick back and ponder the more meaningful things that make life worth living, like love, family, even political activism. (Let's face it, many of the homeless are too preoccupied with survival to even vote.) I agree that a burning desire to get rich overnight can be dangerous. It's sad that so many young Americans got drunk on the Dotcom boom just before it burst.

    But the Internet is still a pretty exciting thing.

  9. #59
    SitePoint Enthusiast meRn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    aspen, you have some dangerous advice right there.
    Money is important in this life to be able to provide you and your family with necessities. Money can never buy lasting happiness. You will die unhappy no matter if you are poor or rich if you believe that.
    I don't think you know what you're talking about, I think aspen meant to say, you'll need to start building your passive incomes, buy assets instead of liabilities as assets.. will work for you.

  10. #60
    Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Actually, i'm unfamiliar with the philosophy of David Hume -
    It's just common sense to me, not to place so much importance on something that can so quickly fade to nothing.
    If you can put money in it's rightful place you can start spending/earning it wisely.
    Hume is the father of utilitarianism, which is essentially a hedonistic philosophy. That, basically, that we all strive for and act for happiness. Which, of course, I disagree with.

    Why, modern culture is obsessed with English philosophy is beyond me. Not that it is bad, but its just one view and there have been many great thinkers past that point in history. Though in the time of Hume, Aristotle was doing the same sort of thing. In any case....

    "It's just common sense to me, not to place so much importance on something that can so quickly fade to nothing."

    To me, happiness fits that category rather nicely.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

    - Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

  11. #61
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one thing in and of itself guarantees happiness, whether that one thing be money, or work, or truckloads of children, or 57 hamsters, or what-have-you. A balanced life is the key. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

    Personally, I think there is no such thing as "making it." If you've "made it" then you've reached the end and you're stagnant. Enjoy the process. It's what life's about.

  12. #62
    SitePoint Enthusiast meRn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bekkilyn View Post
    No one thing in and of itself guarantees happiness, whether that one thing be money, or work, or truckloads of children, or 57 hamsters, or what-have-you. A balanced life is the key. Physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

    Personally, I think there is no such thing as "making it." If you've "made it" then you've reached the end and you're stagnant. Enjoy the process. It's what life's about.
    Well maybe the original thread starter should just correct his title then, who has made xxx amount of money? If you don't think money brings happiness, stop working 9-5 and start being a bum.

  13. #63
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,095
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi aspen,

    You're absolutely right that I have more reason to believe what I do than the 4 word saying. I wasn't aware that this forum was so open to philosophical debate, but ok

    I wasn't condemning you to an unhappy death at all, simply saying that I found your 'advice' very dangerous.

    I have both freedom and happiness, neither which are derived from the fact that I and my family are well off, i've grown up in a very poor area surrounded by a high abuse rate, and suicide rate - Well that directly means that it's because they have no money right?
    I disagree with this conclusion, and yours - that this would be different with wealth.

    The reason many people around me are suffering is because they all value money so highly, and because they've bought into the western world mentality that you hold as absolute truth. They are disgruntled and upset because they don't have it, but what I see missing is hope, and what many others have eluded to in their own posts on this thread.

    I've seen some of the poorest people in the world the happiest, they have found something that can't be taken away overnight or destroyed.
    That is what I would encourage people to seek after.

  14. #64
    Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most very successful entrepreneurs are driven by the passion for an idea first and foremost with the possibility of some financial gain if a lot goes right - in light of the fact that very little ever really goes exactly according to plan, a financial windfall is unlikely.

    The actual pursuit of money over the sound and complete implementation of an idea often leads to vapor/ware and/or a failed product or business.

    At the same time balancing the books, managing cashflow, paying expenses and whatnot requires money skills and also the availability of money to grow your business, as without money and money management, it will fail.

    It is a balancing act and not an easy one - but strictly speaking, pursue the idea first and if it is good enough opportunity will sprout - pursue money first and someone may implement your idea faster and better.

    Finally, I have been fairly well off at one time or another (and quite poor others). Speaking only for myself, I can say without a doubt the major differences between now and then is that I had way more money, was always working and miserable and had all sorts of gadgets and toys that I never used and should have never wasted my money on. I don't need a PS3, Wii and XBOX360 to be happy - in fact I am happier without them. We tend to spend what we earn so if you earn more and you live in America it generally just means you have a car that is fancier than you need that takes more gas (because you can afford it) and maybe your mortgage payments are bigger because you need a bigger house so you can compete and keep up with the neighbor and continue to assert your superiority.

    As Bob Marley said, "It's a rat race - the human race" and if your only goal is to accumulate wealth you will be awfully unfulfilled (with no other goals) once you get there. Best to always keep in mind that the taxman must be satisfied - just don't let it exclusively govern how you do things.

  15. #65
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,095
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bob Marley the man!
    Sound advice.

  16. #66
    Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Denver, Phang-Nga, Thailand
    Posts
    4,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't let that taxman get TOO satisfied!
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

    SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

  17. #67
    SitePoint Guru Nick Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipem View Post
    Well friends, it's true that money can't buy happiness.
    Money can buy happiness. You just gotta know how to spend it.

    Here's a quick example: I'm finishing up my computer science degree here in the U.S.. I take trips out to Japan on a regular basis to be with my fiancée. I am able to take these trips because I have the extra income to pay for them. If I didn't have this money, I would certainly be less happy.

    However, having said that, in the long run, my overall happiness isn't dependent on money. Quick increases and decreases in income can affect happiness. But if one is depressed everyday, their problem is not money.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

  18. #68
    SitePoint Guru Nick Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    644
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Hi aspen,

    You're absolutely right that I have more reason to believe what I do than the 4 word saying. I wasn't aware that this forum was so open to philosophical debate, but ok

    I wasn't condemning you to an unhappy death at all, simply saying that I found your 'advice' very dangerous.

    I have both freedom and happiness, neither which are derived from the fact that I and my family are well off, i've grown up in a very poor area surrounded by a high abuse rate, and suicide rate - Well that directly means that it's because they have no money right?
    I disagree with this conclusion, and yours - that this would be different with wealth.

    The reason many people around me are suffering is because they all value money so highly, and because they've bought into the western world mentality that you hold as absolute truth. They are disgruntled and upset because they don't have it, but what I see missing is hope, and what many others have eluded to in their own posts on this thread.

    I've seen some of the poorest people in the world the happiest, they have found something that can't be taken away overnight or destroyed.
    That is what I would encourage people to seek after.
    I was happy before I started making money. And I'm still happy after having made some money. I'm certainly not rolling in the dough, but some day I plan to be a multimillionaire with a nice home on the ocean. Maybe a yacht.

    It's not evil to desire these worldly possessions. The fact is that most people don't know how to appreciate the current moment. In my opinion, for those who can't appreciate the current moment, future planning is a bit useless. Those people are in a perpetuated cycle of unhappiness.

    However, for those that do appreciate the current moment, planning, working towards, and attaining wealth can be very satisfying.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

  19. #69
    SitePoint Wizard wheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all very interesting perspectives, and continueing from what markbrown4 and optimus prime have said, here are my two bobs:

    stop seeking fullfillment from external sources to satisfy your ego - you'lll become stuck in an endless cycle of wanting and never be at peace - enjoy this moment for what it is.

    Take a leaf out of buddhist philosophy. Theres a reason why they are more content than you or I will every be without needing anything. Happiness comes from within.

    Of course easier in theory than practice
    Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development

  20. #70
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    1,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say ambition makes one a work-a-holic, which can hurt the social aspect for a while.

    Since most people on this forum find an income online, they have the opportunity to be working every minute of every day. I can't tell you how many times I have gone out, found whatever I was doing to be lame, and crave to be home working again.

    A recent report on Yahoo, however, said that the eight of the top 10 successful people were workaholics, so there you go.

    I work a lot, and knowing if I "made it" or not will be more of a frame of mind.

    To have one site gross six figures a year would be a start. I am early twenties as well, so the income I am getting from online is enough to feel that I "made it"... at this point.

    But, when it comes to working for yourself, you can ALWAYS do better.

    Ryan
    Upcoming Movies - Movie News. Updated Daily.
    Movie Trailers - Awesome trailer site. Nuff said.

  21. #71
    Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    Take a leaf out of buddhist philosophy. Theres a reason why they are more content than you or I will every be without needing anything. Happiness comes from within.
    Enlightenment not Happiness.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

    - Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

  22. #72
    SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of discussion going on about money and happiness. I'll give my input on this....

    I don't believe money brings true happiness. True happiness is doing what you love and letting the money follow. I wouldn't want to do a job I absolutely hate just to make tons of money. If I had the option to work 10 years doing a job I hate for $1,000,000 ($100k a year) vs a job I love making $50k a year, I would take the $50k job without hesitation. I'm also not a materialistic person though like a lot of people are so it may be a different story for some of you, the only thing I look forward to is a roof over my head with food on the table. I don't want to be judged for what kind of car I drive or how many rooms my house has, I want to be judged by doing what I love and making a difference.

    Thats just my input.

  23. #73
    Nintendo Wii Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't "made it" as such, but I'm 16 making $20,000+ a year, from 10 mins of work a day (nothing illegal/blackhat either ), so I'm doin' alright.
    »» 16 Year Old Web Designer
    »» Average Daily Income (approx):$30
    »» Drawing Tips | Wii Gamin' | Twilight Princess

  24. #74
    SitePoint Guru Galo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Holland!
    Posts
    852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn it sounds like your in the Job for the money, get a life please, there's more in life then money....

    I just have a passion for this stuff... dont care about the money....
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

  25. #75
    SitePoint Wizard wheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    Enlightenment not Happiness.
    I agree, but I thought people could relate better to the word happiness...
    Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •