SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 179
  1. #1
    SitePoint Addict Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How many of you have 'made it'?

    I'm at the stage in my career where I should probably be very happy. I am in a fantastic job, earning way, way above average for someone my age (In fact, probably well above average for someone ten years my senior) and living a lifestyle most people in their early twenties would take quite happily. It's wierd though, because three years ago to the day I was a complete mess; unemployed, living off the social, technically homeless and had quite literally not a penny to my name, yet I'm no more satisfied with life now than I was then.

    I have this burning desire to do my own thing, to make myself a millionnaire from nothing. It's actually struck me that ambition is in fact a character defect rather than a quality, created by complete dissatisfaction and unhappiness in my current life. But ultimately, I want to be my own man, my own boss. And be immenssely wealthy with it. There are so many people in my life who thought I would fail at anything I tried. I've already proved them wrong, I just want to prove them even more wrong.

    I've got what I believe to be a fantastic idea to bring myself this lifestyle I so desire. It's such a big project though, and it's so hard to see past the current day. So hard to keep going.

    I need some inspiration. There must be plenty of people on here who have been where I am now. People who had the balls to do something and 'made it'. Made it to the stage in their life where they are completely happy.

    I'd love to hear your stories...

  2. #2
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I had similar views about myself and wanted to do my own thing. Was working with this consulting firm at the time and was making more than enough, but the drive to be my own boss was a bit too much. So i worked with that firm for 2 and half years, saved up most of my earnings, gained exposure and experience and then left it to start my own firm. 5 years down the line, my firm is nearly as big as the one i worked for and yes, i am my own boss.

    Points to note here are:
    - gain market exposure
    - gain experience and and learn how things work in the business world
    - try to save as much as you can... always helps

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast LevelServe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    84
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ambition is in fact a character defect rather than a quality
    Not true at all. Ambition and knowledge are a powerful combination. A desire to be your own boss is a good one. In this world you can never gain freedom working for someone else and making them money. Also don't let your drive be to simply "prove someone wrong".

    You say you are currently earning way above average. I would save alot of money and have a good financial foundation when you are ready to start something on your own. Just stay with your current job while researching your business plan and saving up funds.

    Then come out with guns a blazing.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Addict AfroNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be working for a software company right now and making plenty of money, no doubt. But it's not what I want to do. I want to design my own content, pages, etc. and get paid for it. Right now I'm in a transitional stage- I make a little bit of money, enough to get me started. I need more though, and while I have a bit of a money cushion, I have a few ideas I want to set into motion to see if they can get me where I want to be.
    The Flash Gaming Network
    Editorial reviews for the latest flash games!
    Afro Ninja Productions
    Original flash games and content from a guy with an afro

  5. #5
    Floridiot joebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kenneth City, FL
    Posts
    823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep comming close, but someone keeps hiring beautifull women to stand at the pearly gates to distract me.

  6. #6
    padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,115
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Jonny,

    I get the feeling like you won't be satisfied with a million or a billion dollars. It's a great thing what you have been able to accomplish and I congratulate you for rebuilding your life from the ground up I respect that.
    Made it to the stage in their life where they are completely happy.
    If this is where you want to be, I think you're looking in the wrong place.
    I for one could be most content with just enough money to get by
    I just wouldn't want you gaining the world and 'still not finding what you're looking for' and ending up even more unhappy.

    I'm sure you're familiar with 'Money can't buy happiness' - aint that the truth.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with mark brown. Money can't buy happiness--That's what Prozac is for. :-p

    But seriously, learn to love your drive. Accept it. Maybe you won't ever be "happy" by traditional standards, but that's what keeps you driving forward.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At My Desk!!
    Posts
    1,642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money will always be a downfall, we all strive for it so much, of course we do, we want nice things and a comfortable way of living, but when you earn your first million your not happy until you've got your second and then it carries on.

    Then when you have all the things you always desired, you spend your life worrying what could happen if you lost it all, not to mention the fact that you dont have any time to enjoy the fruits of your labour because something is never enough and you always want more.

    You spend 2 thirds of your life at work (at least) that is what you should be trying to secure happiness in, if you enjoy your work and do it well the money will come along with it, then when you are in a position to branch out on your own without falling completely ... do it.

    Until then learn to be content with the things you do have otherwise getting rich wont satisfy you.
    "Am I the only one doing ASP.NET in Delphi(Pascal)?"

  9. #9
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    ...yet I'm no more satisfied with life now than I was then...
    Admit it... you're not married yet are you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    ...ambition is in fact a character defect rather than a quality...
    Only if you have too much of it. Then it becomes consuming (in my opinion).

  10. #10
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are few people who would think that they have already made it in life and therefore would be willing to wrap it all up. Money, unfortunately, is the poor metric for measuring if someone has reached that point of life. What the heck Warren Buffet is doing at this age with that entire hectic business schedule. Not from any rarest of angle would he look like the one who couldn’t make enough money. But he is still pushing on. It’s certainly not the money I think that keeps him going. It’s more because of the desire to live a lively, active, vibrant life.

    I think the money begins to loose its heady charm after a certain point in life. So after making a fair amount of (how much? Well, I don’t know) money, one should squeez some time out of their schedule branch out to other priorities in life; Family, community, society. Give them back. So that one day we could be proud of ourselves for not spending our entire life chasing around money.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Guru marcel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, I would suggest you add more soul satisfying goals to your todo list.

    For example, wanting to give away 5% - 30% of your profit to a charitable cause or preparing a college fund for your kids.

    It's always better to give.

  12. #12
    Back in Action Winged Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    outside my mind
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Buffet always looks happy during interviews, I think he loves what he does.

    I'm in an exciting period for myself right now. Spent 5 years working with an ecommerce company, currently doing retail management and going back to school, and about to go part time to focus on web projects that have long overdue.

    Everybody thinks I'm crazy and a loser, but it's about time I took some risk and finally made my dreams come true.


  13. #13
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Buffet always looks happy during interviews, I think he loves what he does.
    LOL, I never meant he is not happy. Just that it's not the money that keeps him going. He must have truckloads of them.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member |DK|'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far for myself personally I am on the way to "making it". At the age of 17 I had graduated highschool. Nineteen came and Graduated college with honors in Interactive Multimedia. I am approaching 20 and potentially sitting on a gold mind.

    My fathers boss once asked him where do he see himself in the future, my dad replied saying he doesnt really know. His boss came back to say that she sees him creating some crazy thing with his son (me) and running their own company.

    Well with that being said we have something that potential investors have been poking around lately. We are sitting on a million dollar a year program which is great for us. Just list any story, it starts out with the idea in your basement...

  15. #15
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you need to find balance. I work a 9-5, no overtime. I do a little freelance, but I save time for self improvement, social activities, character building, etc. Am I rich? hardly.

    I am enjoying life while I am still young enough to enjoy life. I moved to a place where wages are known to be lower, but the quality of living is better. Most people wait until they retire to move where I am living. I've seen it too many times, people work hard to save a ton of money for retirement and most are too sick and too old to enjoy it. Some even die from the stress they create trying to create their dynasty befrore they are able to enjoy it.

    My belief is enjoy life while you still can.

  16. #16
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webnoob View Post
    You spend 2 thirds of your life at work (at least) that is what you should be trying to secure happiness in, if you enjoy your work and do it well the money will come along with it, then when you are in a position to branch out on your own without falling completely ... do it.
    If you're spending 2/3rds of your life at work I think you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member feros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need money to be happy (much less to become a millionaire) then you will die sad, alone, and miserable. How about stop crying over your cozy job and live instead of worrying about how to make more money? Go fishing.
    Matt Coddington - Freelance Web Designer

  18. #18
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the words of Gordan Gekko, Greed is Good.

    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/Movi...allstreet.html

    I apologize for the background music in that link, but it is the only copy I found of the speech.

    I find people who say "money can't buy happiness" as trite. As if someone asks whether or not to upgrade their PC when the current one works fine and someone answers "A penny saved is a penny earned" and considers that the end-all-be-all of the discussion.

    I am of the opinion that money can, and regularly does, buy happiness. Money is freedom. The act of having money itself doesn't equate to happiness, but wealth gives you immense freedom to do things that do equate to happiness. With wealth you can work less, and spend more time with your family, take longer vacations, and pursue more hobbies.

    Not everyone who is rich is a workaholic scrooge type with no hobbies and a strained relationship with their family. It doesn't take that type of hard-work-nose-to-the-grindstone personality to be rich. It is more about how smart you work, rather than how hard you work. These workaholic types will likely be unhappy if they make $30k a year, $300k a year, or $3m a year.

    So it entirely depends on your personality, if you're an obsessive workaholic then money likely will not change your happiness level. If however you're more.... laid back then money can give the freedom to spend more time doing the things that make you most happy.

    I'm not a hard worker at all, quite laid back, I filled out a LendingTree.com application the other day and was warned to double check my application because I was in the top 1% of national incomes. So I'm already pretty well off, but I want to be wealthier. I'm not ruining myself working too hard to reach that goal, but I am working towards it, and its so I can retire obscenely early and spend time gardening, writing, and spending time with my family. All of which would make me very happy.

    So lets not jump to a stereotype and assume that people who want to be wealthy are inherently unhappy. I'm happy now, I'll be happy in the future when I have more. I think I have a great life, and the strive for wealth is a key part of it.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  19. #19
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am of the opinion that money can, and regularly does, buy happiness. Money is freedom. The act of having money itself doesn't equate to happiness, but wealth gives you immense freedom to do things that do equate to happiness. With wealth you can work less, and spend more time with your family, take longer vacations, and pursue more hobbies.
    Sure money does all that if you got it. but I still believe that "happiness" is an inside job.

    And as far as a career or occupation goes, I believe it's been said before:
    Do what you love, love what you do.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very fact that you want to retire obscenely early in order to spend time with your family and pursue happiness testifies that even u know money only is not going to buy you total happiness. Else you would want work still more without retiring, have yet more money. Not having money makes your life miserable, for sure, but just having it won’t make you happy either. And you know it. You are happy because u knew the balance and u know where to draw the line. Some unfortunately don’t and chase around money in search of happiness, only in vain.

  21. #21
    I hate Spammers mobyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Snowdonia
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not going to like what I am going to say, however I am going to say it. Your problem revolves around a lack of self esteem and inner belief values. Deep down inside you still believe yourself to be that worthless individual who was in a complete mess, who somehow got lucky; hence your desire to prove people wrong or even more wrong about you, as you put it. You say that you have a fantastic idea and at the same time elude to imaginary hurdles; the size of the project, hard to see past the present day, hard to keep going. Your belief in yourself is frail, in short you are afraid of failure. The reason you feel so empty and unhappy is because you fear a fall, which in your mind will prove everybody else right after all. Take stock of yourself and ask yourself what would you do if you could not possibly fail.Treat every day as though it might be your last on earth, value everything. Treat everyone you meet with respect and kind words. Do something for someone without reward, get involved, learn to laugh at yourself. Each day will make you a little stronger and a little less empty until finally you will reach the point where your fantastic idea will seem easily achievable if you still desire it. I know that this forum is not really the place to give this sort of advice but I feel I would be letting you down if I did not respond. Whatever the outcome I really do wish you the best for the future.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

  22. #22
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    12,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu View Post
    The very fact that you want to retire obscenely early in order to spend time with your family and pursue happiness testifies that even u know money only is not going to buy you total happiness. Else you would want work still more without retiring, have yet more money. Not having money makes your life miserable, for sure, but just having it won’t make you happy either. And you know it. You are happy because u knew the balance and u know where to draw the line. Some unfortunately don’t and chase around money in search of happiness, only in vain.
    Erm no, not really. Just because some people obsess over it doesn't mean it doesn't make most people happy. Obsession in any form is a bad thing. Some people obsess over professional sports, does that mean no one can enjoy watching a game?

    You gotta separate work and money, you can still make money and not work. Even when I retire, I will never stop earning money.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

  23. #23
    SitePoint Wizard mcsolas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Hermosa Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "made it" ?

    I made 2 this morning before work (barrels that is)

    Ive "made it" because as my own boss, I get to do what I want, when I want. I have a highly sought after list of services in a country with few people competing with me on a professional level.

    BUT .. before work everyday, I set aside time to go surf.

    Lifes not all about the money people...

  24. #24
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Middle England
    Posts
    3,392
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent years building up a career, working long hours, chasing after salary increases, pretending to go along with all the corporate crap they throw at you and the rest of it. I had it good - no fixed start time, I could more or less come and go as I pleased (playing the system...lol). My work became my life, my life was work.

    Then, during of those daft annual appraisements we had to give our staff, the question I had to ask this guy (the rules said so) was "what are your aspirations for the next 5 years?". Now this chap was 58 and retiring in 2 years and was just biding his time like any sensible person would - WTF - we just sat there an laughed. That was it, the penny clicked and it really dawned on me what a stupid game I'd really been playing all those years when I could have been out enjoying my life.

    Two months later I quit and I've never been happier. My time is all my own now and I am totally free to come and go as I want. I don't have that nice "comfort zone" salary any more but I don't miss it at all and I really appreciate everything in life more than I ever did.

    You can keep your money, fast cars, luxury mansions - I've got something very few of you will ever have

  25. #25
    perfect = good enough peach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    -Netherlands-
    Posts
    1,383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsolas View Post
    I made 2 this morning before work (barrels that is)

    Ive "made it" because as my own boss, I get to do what I want, when I want. I have a highly sought after list of services in a country with few people competing with me on a professional level.

    BUT .. before work everyday, I set aside time to go surf.

    Lifes not all about the money people...
    The only thing I'm missing is living in a climate where I can surf before every workday, without freezing to death.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •