User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seo and databases?

Hi guys and girls

how does seo work with databases, i have a friend (we have been on the phone for 3 hours and my head hurts) and he says the best way for me to build my site is by having 3 product page stages:

Page 1. for example: shoes, jumpers, coats, socks. click on coats
    Page 2. this page is a single layout and all the coats are loaded from the database or if i was to pick shoes the same page is filled with shoes from the database, if you click a item it goes to page 3.
    Page 3. this is the product page that display the individual product along with the description and price and add to cart / buy now button etc etc.

now this makes perfect sense however how do you optimise page 2 if Page 2 is a single layout that is filled from the database depending on what product catorgory is selected?

Thanks for your answers in advance

glory (not at the moment)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a typical e-com practice where you have a main page, category pages and product pages. Each unique page will have a unique URL. Having a database does not affect SEO one way or another, as long as the search engines can crawl each URL and index its content properly. Just make sure your URLs don't have session ID variables, and keep your URL variables to a minimum (2 or less).

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Search engines know nothing about your backend, just the HTML it spits out. Follow the advice above and just make sure you have clean URLs (no session IDs, not too long) and you will be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure your URLs don't have session ID variables, and keep your URL variables to a minimum (2 or less).
    How can we do that without a URL rewrite module or ISAPI?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apache Forcetype is an effective method as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure your URLs don't have session ID variables, and keep your URL variables to a minimum (2 or less).
    Follow the advice above and just make sure you have clean URLs (no session IDs, not too long)
    Come on guys, you're right but I've seen plenty pages like these...

thatsite.com/article.php?ID=45789

come up in the top 5 result queries from Googles as recently as a few hours ago.

Times have changed, bots don't have problem with IDs and question marks anymore

Me too I'm trying to put a database and that ID or not ID has been slowing my development big time.
    Last edited by asprookie; Dec 15, 2006 at 08:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you optimise page 2 if Page 2 is a single layout that is filled from the database depending on what product catorgory is selected?
    It'd be nice to know if you intend on having no more than 100 products or more than 100 000

Ideally your page 2 should contain static links leading to your product page 3

Now depending if you have a small catalog or a huge one, the technique to use could be either one of these.

Static link to the product on page 2 redirects to the dynamic product page 3

i.e. for small catalog/inventory

product_425.htm to product.php?ID=425

for big/huge catalog/inventory

URL rewrite rewrites your to product.php?ID=425 page to static products/425.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post
    Come on guys, you're right but I've seen plenty pages like these..

www.thatsite/article.php?ID=45789

come up in the top 5 result queries from Googles as recently as a few hours ago.
    But how many haven't you seen? Seriously, I know Google is getting better, but my philosophy is, remove all hurdles and potential hurdles you can. In this case, it's easy enough to write two lines of code in an .htaccess file and remove all doubt.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^article-([0-9]+)\.html$ article.php?ID=$1 [L]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie View Post
    Come on guys, you're right but I've seen plenty pages like these..

www.thatsite/article.php?ID=45789

Times have changed, bots don't have problem with IDs and question marks anymore

Me too I'm trying to put a database and that ID or not ID has been slowing my development big time.
    We know that as that wasn't what they were saying. Search engines do still have issues with query strings as very long ones and ones with session IDs will still cause issues.

Plus in your example you still don't have any keywords in your URL and in that case which is missing out on a good way to optimize a page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus in your example you still don't have any keywords in your URL and in that case which is missing out on a good way to optimize a page.

YOU ARE PERFECTLY RIGHT!!!

let me rephrase...

thatsite.com/products/coats/thatbrand_raincoat.htm

it's easy enough to write two lines of code in an .htaccess file and remove all doubt.
    This is right on!!! I guess that answers "Gloryboy" 's question assuming he does it with PHP, that's one HUGE advantage of PHP vs other languages. It's not that simple without PHP