SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's Your Daily Schedule?

Since mine is different from day to day and I don't have any set guidleines for myself and I really admire those that do, I thought some of you might like to post your daily work schedule...if you have one. It may motivate me and others to be more disciplined!
    Last edited by phanie12.geo; Jan 2, 2002 at 14:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, my schedule is different from day to day, too. I really should be able to get more work done in a day than I do. I've gone so far as to set up very detailed schedules in outlook -- unfortunately I was too quick with the 'snooze' button. I'll be sure to follow this thread!

I wonder: is disorganization more prevalent for those that work at home and freelance?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am still in school so it usually works out something like this Monday through Friday, at the weekends I am extremely disorganised though!

6:30am > Get up, go running, take a shower, have breakfast and get the bus to school.
    8:30am > Get to school, mess about for 20 minutes.
    8:50am > School starts.
    4:00pm > School's finished, go to after school study.
    6:00pm > Finish studying, get the bus home.
    6:40pm > Get home, do some more studying and homework.
    7:30pm > Finish homework.

Then I do any of the following between 7:30pm and 1:00am:
    Client meetings, project planning, program PHP, plan databases, hang with friends, watch TV, play sports, skateboard, rollerblade, listen to music and other general stuff that teenagers, punks, skaters, programmers, web developers, web hosts and humans do.

And finally, at 1:00am I have a shower and go to bed. I am usually in bed by 1:30am to get my 5 hours sleep and prepare for the next day.

Whilst I don't stick to this schedule religiously, my Mondays -> Fridays are generally as above (except Wednesdays where school finishes at 12:30pm and everything from 4:00pm is brought back 2.5 hours [except bed, I still don't get there until 1:30am]). Weekends can be anything from sleeping all day to not sleeping at all for an entire weekend, it all depends on how much work I have to do (both school and web related) and how much caffeine I can get my hands on. Weekends are cool though.
    Last edited by Bob; Jan 2, 2002 at 17:58.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from home and tend not to have a daily schedule either. I'd never stick to it.

The only real regularity in my day is sleeping 4 till 12 and starting work again. I tend to handle support e-mails when I get up though, and seem to do most of my best work after tea time when I've woken up properly.

If I feel i've done a good amount of work that day (and even if I don't) I tend to spend my last two hours of consciousness playing on a game or two to relax me before bed.

I think being self-employed makes it really hard to stick to any type of schedule. There are so many eventualaties and problems that just pop up demanding your attention, clients that need things fixing yesterday etc to maintain any sort of timetable.

It'd be nice, but wouldn't it be really boring?

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daily schedule changes from day to day based on my workload and the tasks I need to accomplish.

Typically I get up around 8 or 8:30 and spend about 30 minutes planning my day/week/month. I list tasks in my planner and prioritize them (A1, B1, C4, etc.)

I live by my planner, which helps keep me organized and on-time. For several years now I've been using a Franklin Covey time management system. It focuses on priorities and values rather than events and tasks. I have also read "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" and other books by Franklin Covey.

If you're having a hard time keeping on schedule or just feel that you're not accomplishing what you should be I'd suggest taking a look at Franklin Covey.

I should note that I don't work for them in any way, I have just been overwhelmingly satisfied with the results I have received... it's nothing short of a miracle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creative types tend to be easily distracted. And with the internet - even in business - it's easy to get side tracked. I'm very diligent about keeping my planner up to date. I also use "to-do" cards on 3x5 index cards. Still, I waste more time than I should. Like now I should be working! I work an 8-5 job then do my freelance work in the evenings and weekends.

It's a must that I maximize my time so that when I'm cought up, I can goof off! I have 3 freelance customers, plus my own network of sites.

Whew, I'm getting tired thinking about it!
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    during mornings, my schedule is a bit of a routine one.

saturday to thursday, i wake up 6:00 am, go to work till 4pm.
    i get home by 5pm (a long drive)

Then i usually work on my own projects which vary..web related, drawing, writing or even watching TV to get rid of my work's stress.
    eat dinner and sleep!

i've only friday off, so i either go out with friends or go on errands.

pretty boring, huh???
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, at the moment my life is weird, so my schedule looks strange

5:30am -> get up, drive to work
    5:00pm -> Drive Home from work
    5:00-6:00pm -> do stuff that needs to be done...
    6:00-7:30 -> Do web stuff, come to sitepoint
    7:30-8:00 -> Have tea
    8:00-11:30/12:00 -> Do whatever work I have left....
    Then sleep

Boring huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow u guys are so busy

I feel kinda like the little kid, and i'm 30, LOL

8am - up and to work till 6pm
    6pm - home and jump on PC for online gaming fun/or twice a week goto the gym/5v5 footy
    8pm approx - dinner
    9 - 1/2am more online gaming

BTW im single, work for a web design agency and have no real life, just a virtual one in the world of DAoC Here's the website and forums i created for the guild im in The Silver Citadel

Next please..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3:30am - Get up, get ready, drive to work.
    12:30pm - Drive home from work.
    1:30pm - Take a break, have lunch, check email, web, etc.
    2:30pm - Run errands, browse a few stores, go for a bike ride or do some fishing (seasonal of course).
    4:30pm - Go home, have dinner, work on projects, check news, SP, etc.
    5:30pm - Get ready for evening classes which are 6-9pm(if I have them that day) otherwise continue with projects until 8:30 when I get ready for bed.

I'm cheating now though, posting on SP while at work. Can't help it, it's that addition again.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Beley wins!

He seems to be the most disciplined of the bunch!

I have that Mr. Covey book, now I just have to get myself motivated enough to finish reading it. I am reading about 5 different books right now as it is.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have to say I've read about 4 different "self-help" books on time management, people skills, etc. such as "How to win friends and influence people" and by far the best and only book I reccommend is "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"

It really helps you determine what the important things in your life are, and helps you focus on those things rather than the plethora of little things that always seem to interrupt our days and ruin our effectiveness!