SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, let's get started.

First I'd like to say hello to everyone in the web-programming society, I'm completely new (though I am knowledgable in XHTML and CSS) and have no idea where to get started. I'm hoping that I can ask the right questions for what I need and that somebody will be able to help me.

Basically I want to get started with a simple task for a personal website of mine. I need to create a webpage that allows me to make posts (like a blog but with much less data) to another page that will automatically update whatever information I add. I'm basically looking for a blog/forum type design where I can go to a password protected part of my site, type in a field, click submit and then go to a different (unprotected) page that has all of the information I've added.

I don't know where to even get started on this. What would be the best programming language to do this? Where can I get free information on the scripting language? What books would you recommend? And finally, is there anyone who has enough time to help me one-on-one via PMs if I have any questions?

I'm really hoping somebody can help me get started here or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks to those who at least took the time to read this, I appriciate it.
    Visit Creative Something, my creativity blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

What I recommend is make sure you have forms fully under your belt, then learn PHP for processing the input from your forms, and use a MySQL database to store all your entries, this may seem over kill but its very easy, for your MySQL use PhpMyAdmin, it provides a nice and simple way to create and edit the structure of your database.

You will mainly want to learn how to make php talk to the database, heres a rough step guide for you:
    - create a form, make that form's action point to a php file
    - create a php file that reads in all the data passed in from the form (look at $_REQUEST)
    - create a mysql query in that php file that runs an insert to put the data into the database
    - create a new file that will have a mysql query to read from a database
    - with all the data you pulled from the database you want to display using html in a php file

you will end up with 3 files
    - form.html (fill out the form)
    - process.php (put the data into the database)
    - read.php (get the data from the database and display it)

Im sorry if this seems like over kill but I tired and not at my best at the moment, I hope this didnt scare you off.

I can give you some help but I'm rather busy so it mite not be really responsive, best bet would be to post on here and I will try and respond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the help guys. Last night I was browsing around and stumbled upon Ruby on Rails, it seems like something I could use in the future for what I want. Does anybody know if this could be useful to me? I've already spent an hour or so working with it and it's fairly interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the help guys. Last night I was browsing around and stumbled upon Ruby on Rails, it seems like something I could use in the future for what I want. Does anybody know if this could be useful to me? I've already spent an hour or so working with it and it's fairly interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its used for rapid deployment of "web applications" its like its the difference between building a house from materials (php) or building it from kitset (Ruby on Rails)....Your choice.