SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will the MFA problem take care of itself in the longrun?

I got to thinking today (I know! Scary thought!) - anyway, I was wondering why Google doesn't seem to be doing more to take care of the MFA (Made For Adsense) site problem on the WWW.

Right now, I imagine, there are still *a lot* of people who are new to the web and/or don't really grok it. This is why MFA sites get clicks (This goes for other spammy sites too) - the users/visitors can't distinguish content from ads - or rather, don't see a MFA site, just one with little content and links out.

Now, fast forward a generation or two. By then, I'm sure, most people will be able to see a crappy MFP scraper site and know what's going on. As a result of people browsing smarter, MFA people make a lot less money and the problem goes away.

Until then, Goog can grab their take of all those newbie clicks, knowing the problem will eventually take care of itself as the market evolves over the next 5 to 20 years. (When those growing up now - the Google Generation ?? - are grown up and consumers, they will have lots of experience with the web...)

Side topic 1) how do you think the web is going to change as more people become more familiar with it and technology expands?

Side topic 2) What is *your* definition of a MFA site?

Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my def of a MFA is mother f**king a**hole!

thinking of dropping adsense but YPN is hard to get into....

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaul View Post
    Side topic 1) how do you think the web is going to change as more people become more familiar with it and technology expands?
    Over the long-term, I think the Internet is going to become less an less about computers & webpages.

Quote Originally Posted by kpaul View Post
    Side topic 2) What is *your* definition of a MFA site?
    Sites with very little content, where the Adsense ads are really the only benefit to users. Scraper sites. Some arbitrage sites.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john2k View Post
    Over the long-term, I think the Internet is going to become less an less about computers & webpages.
    lol less about computers? and more about dish washing machines?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    lol less about computers? and more about dish washing machines?
    Maybe not specifically dish washing machines, but yes. Here are some examples:

- Imagine the efficiency of being able to send a message, via the Internet, to adjust the temperature for the heating/air-conditioning in your home for when you are there. Maybe you don't always leave work at the same time every night, so an automated system would not be most efficient. You send a message when you leave work and by the time you arrive home the temperature has gone from the all day level of maybe 62 degrees to your "at home" comfortable level of 70 or so degrees.

- Maybe you use the Internet to automatically turn on the oven to begin cooking the meal that was prepared earlier. When you arrive home your meal is hot and ready.

- Maybe you wish to see "where" exactly your young child is or you wish to send them a message, possibly to tell them when you will be home - whether or not they are near a phone. It could be a watch that they wear or something similar.

- For someone who has many kids... maybe a single message to say "dinner at 5pm" sent to the entire family, from one message, and received by everyone on their watch, or cell phone, or ipod, etc.

- You could be somewhere other than your home and remember a television program that you want to record. Send the instructions to your TV recording device via the Internet so the show will be recorded and available for you to watch when you prefer.

- Order from a restaurant for take-out or delivery. Or, make reservations while driving on the way to the restaurant.

- And yes, the dish washer also. Check, via the Internet, whether or not the dish washer is full (maybe if the kids loaded it after returning from school) and turn it on if it has not yet already gone through the cleaning cycle. Maybe dish washing machines in the future will automatically schedule repair service if a problem is detected and send the message over your wireless network that is connected to the Internet.

All of that can be done using computers, or cell phones, PDAs or even other devices that are not yet available. (Press a button on your keychain if you forgot to lock the doors to your house, even if you are hundreds of miles away.) Simple packets of data routed via the Internet can be used to do so much. I suppose from one point of view it could be considered that each of the devices used for sending various messages can be considered to be computers, or have computers integrated into them - but those "computers" or computing devices would be very different than the computers that most of us are using to access sites like SitePoint.

Web pages, chat, browsing web pages via cell phone, downloading & installing ring tones and games on cell phones, etc, etc... This is all only the beginning of technological change that will make the world very, very different than it was only 15+ years ago.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web pages are apart of the World Wide Web, which is only one aspect of the Internet.... Appliances communicating, email, etc... are part of the Internet. Two completely different ideas whose definitions have been lost by the mainstream public.

Back to the OP:
    What problem? Why do you consider them a problem?
    If you give someone a program,
    you will frustrate them for a day;
    if you teach them how to program,
    you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah I see what you mean john. Actually, the biggest phone company in the Netherlands is advertising this new product that is a perfect example of what you mean.
    It's a little webcam that you can control with your cell phone. You can turn it around and move the image up and down and stuff.
    Personally I think it's a pretty scary concept, because even in the advertisements on TV they hint that you can hide camera to spy on your neighbours and stuff haha.
    http://www.kpniris.nl/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to thinking today (I know! Scary thought!) - anyway, I was wondering why Google doesn't seem to be doing more to take care of the MFA (Made For Adsense) site problem on the WWW.
    Looks like lots of sitepoint members operate MFA's, their MFs are their bread and butter, so you're not likely to get answers.

I don't life MFA's either. But I did read an article about this issue and apparently Google is working on this. Because without G, MFAs can't survive.

Because in the normal scheme of things someone paying for adwords shoudn't earn money with adsense and vice versa.