SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newsletter that send to a DB Query

Most newsletter solutions on the market have the ability of registering subscribers, and having them subscribe to multiple "Pre set" lists. (ie: TechTimes, Tribune, Design View, etc...)

I have a client that has an existing Database of clients that use his product/service and they have the option of recieving promotions from the company. But he likes to send newsletters and surveys based on specific queries of his clients. Standard newsletter systems do not work for him - as he may want to send a specific promotion to users "18-25 in France" then follow that with a promotion to users in "Victoria, Canada".

I can easily work around a lot of set standards/limitations, but I am having a hard time finding a list that allows you to send to a database query rather than to a pre set list. Having both the lists and queries would be ideal

Any suggestions.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless there are huge numbers of customers in that database, why not custom code something simple and send the mail from his server?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you are talking about is segmenting your list based on rules and while there are many programs that do this, they are not by any means cheap. To Dan's point, if the rule set is not overly complex and the list is manageable, why not write your own utility to send the messages?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the past three years he has used a custom script I wrote for him - and it's been great. But now he is starting to get far too many clients - and the sends are not always finishing before the server times outs for some of his queries. (I am finding that 750 - 1000 emails seems to be the limit) Although I could increase the time limit in the PHP INI file, this is not a long term solution.

Of course - maybe all I need is a really good PHP mailing class that can get past the PHP timeouts so I can still use the query and report features we already have.

Any thoughts in that regard?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change the timeout limit in your php.ini file or use set_time_limit() in the script.

A mailing class, like Pear::MAIL or SwiftMailer will be more efficient since it won't open and close an SMTP connection for each mail.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to try and fork the process to go directly to the server rather than depending on your browser connection to remain open and send all the emails.
    - Ted S