SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast almtechnology's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asp Application at multiple location

i m developing General Ledger application in asp.my company is located head office at south and is branch office in west
    so i have to developed an application that data related to south they can post there data.so as well as west.now problem is that what techniquei should use.In my opinion i can create administrator login form where person in south
    can log on with it and enter his data while same as person in west. or what should i use
    ALM TECHNOLOGY

MUHAMMAD IRFAN MOTIWALA
    CELL (92)0333 3966779

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sounds fine. i'd have a region table - that way it will scale better if/when adding more regions in the future. use the ID's as foreign keys in the other tables (ie: data, users) so that the appropriate data is displayed to the appropriate user.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill's advice is spot on as usual. The formal term for this is Normalisation. Think about the database structure, and where there could be data elements that might expand in scope in the future.

The region is one example - at the moment you have South and West ... what if the company expands or changes in the future and needs North and East? If you have a Regions table then this is easy - you simply add the new regions to the table, and then when data is added in other tables it simply relates to the RegionID number.

The big benefit of this approach is that it makes database applications much more scalable, and also tends to reduce the database size ... a number like 1, 2, 3 or 4 takes up less space than North, South, East or West ... and if you expand that to 10,000+ data rows you can see how much better things are starting to look.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk