User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overcoming low posts per sign up?

Hi
    I have a problem that I am getting some new members but they dont post anything. Like yesterday I decided to go on a mass advertising campain, and said stuff like "www.Chess[zz]Chit[zz]Chat.com - Online chess community" on yahoo games
    (I had to put the [zz] in the url so google doesnt index this page)

Now yahoo chess has thousands of players online no matter what the time is. I got lots of guests on the forum and about 5 registrations (i know not much...)

Yet only 2 new posts have came.

Is their a solution to overcoming:
    a) Low posts per new member
    b) Low new members per guests

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the number of your new registrations is quite low, what you might consider doing is attempting to begin discussions with the new members via private message. Welcome them to the community, question them on their chess experience, etc, etc. Generally, the point would be to help them feel comfortable as part of the community and increase the chance that they would start getting active on the site.

In the case of a very new site or site with a small and slowly growing membership base, make each new member your most important.

I mention doing this if your number of new members is quite low because it would be really difficult to give this sort of personal attention to dozens of new members daily. If that was the case I would recommend focusing on the new accounts that have posted only one or a few messages.

Once you build a core group of active, or at least somewhat active, members then you will likely have more success in gaining new members and having new members become active on their own.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks john

I made a message and sent it to the new members that joined. The message is below. Does anyone else use tactics like this?

Hey there!
    First, welcome to Chess Chit Chat. I am PM'ing you to welcome you into the forum and to thank you for joining.

I noticed you made a few posts and have also visited a few times. This is very much appreciated because, as you can see, the forum is still a baby and I am really trying to make it grow!

If you have any ideas about the site, like if you think there is something that should be done differently, please let me know!

Thank you for joining, and I hope you stay around!
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you gotta give those users something to talk about
    PublisherMedia.com - Sell your ad-space direct