SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Developing Ajax applications

Greetings Sitepoint'ers

I am working on an Ajax application. I am fairly new to the whole Ajax scene and currently using Yahoo's developer libraries to simplify my first few applications. I understand that the internet isn't 100% Javascript enabled so when designing an Ajax application, I must be sure it works just as well without Javascript.

I am working on a form that submits information in steps. You enter some information, hit submit, the information you submitted is saved and new input boxes show up under your previous information. When designing and programming a simple step-by-step Ajax form like this, should I first develop it to work without Javascript then add Ajax on top of it? Or develop it using Ajax then tweak it to work correctly without Javascript?

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always develop without Javascript first, and then unobtrusively add dynamic functionality. It is way too easy to skip over some of the "fixes" that need to be implemented when working without Javascript, so I find it is worth doing it the standard way first.

Also, when you say an Ajax application, do you mean a site that has some Ajax implemented, or an application based entirely around Ajax? There is a very real use of Ajax only solutions, just as long as you don't mind losing some users.

Regards,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a site with Ajax implemented to make it feel more... web 2.0 :P