SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to do this with AdWords?

We are currently spending a fair amount on AdWords (approx $3K/month) and are trying to optimize our campaign. We sell a number of products on our site and when a new product is added to the database there is automatically a set of AdWords created which we periodically integrate into our campaign. Sometimes these auto-generated AdWords are perfect and other times they aren't and we're trying to figure out an efficient way to prune them.

To date we've done this manually but what I would love is a way to prune them based on whether we've had any conversions or not. For example, I'd like to do a search of any keywords for which we've spent more than $2.00 in the last month and had zero conversions. It's easy through AdWords to find keywords that we've spent more than $2.00 on. However, I don't see a way to find keywords based on any sort of conversion numbers. Does anyone happen to know a way we might be able to do this?

Thanks!

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could create custom urls for each ad that contain the price and a unique tracking code.

You would then use that code to track your conversions and kill any ads that aren't converting.

You'd probably want to automate most of this through the adwords API or else I could see it becoming a nightmare to maintain.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer that it isn't easier. Google has this information (# of conversions) and it would seem to be a pretty important variable in terms of trimming under-performing AdWords.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you install Google's tracking code you will be able to see conversion behavior in your adwords control panel and can trim accordingly. If you want to move beyond this level of manual updates, there are a lot of great tools (i.e. Omniture's Search Center) which will automatically adjust bids based on set business rules related to traffic, conversion and roi.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are the merchant, you can see every incoming hit. Just attach the keyword to the url and you're done. YOu can do this in adwords by using the {keyword} function.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beejeebers View Post
    YOu can do this in adwords by using the {keyword} function.
    For each product, and each grouping of keywords by some topic, I create a new ad group. I have a lot of ad groups. I track conversion by ad group primarily, but every ad URL is tagged with the keyword (&kw={keyword}) which I store so that within any ad group I can see which keywords generate sales.

I generally prune underperforming ads at the group level rather than individual keywords unless one keyword is bringing very high traffic and low conversions.