SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contacting Leads by Phone

I have a list of about 40 leads who requested more information be sent to them about my web design services via snail mail. All leads have been provided to me with names, addresses, and phone numbers...no email addy's. I sent a little information packet out right away with a letter addressed specifically to the recipient, a 10% discount coupon and a flyer...no response. I do have an email newstter that I would like to add these people to. Should I give them a call? If so, what should I say so I don't come off like a tele-marketer (I really hate that!). Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks and Happy New Year to All!!!!!

SitePoint Enthusiast GuitarMaster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Telemarketing 101

I was working for a financial services company in La Jolla CA contacting VERY high rollers via telephone. These people were EXTREMELY sensitive to telemarketers. I found the simplest approach worked the best with these people.

All you're looking for here is "permission to e-mail the info." You're not looking to qualify them, interview them or anything else (at this point,) all you really need is their e-mail address, correct? So just call them and say,

"Hi, this is Phanie with XYZ Co, I just have one quick question so this won't take 20 seconds, I recently sent you some information about Web site design and I just want to e-mail an update, what is your correct e-mail address?

(GET RESPONSE)

Ok great, well you should have that shortly so you'll know what it is when you get it. I think you'll find it helpful Thanks so much!

Notice that those are comas, not periods, at the end of those phrases. That means you slow down slightly for effect, but do not stop till you request the address.

Since it is a long sentence you will need to breath in between. Take your breaths in the middle of the phrases, as you are far less likely to be interupted at those points than at the end of a sentence. You should practice this several times before you attempt it with a prospect.

Make sure you pronounce this as statements and not questions, that is, watch that your voice does not raISE in pitch at the end of the phrases, voice inflection should go DOwn. You are telling, not asking.

You should also be smiling as you speak as this will cause your voice to sound more friendly.

This is a "hot prospect list" of people who requested information from you so don't feel like you are intruding. If you get any objections, pause and SMILE before you respond. This will keep the call from becoming confrontational, which is the last thing you want. It would not hurt to write this "pitch" down along with a few responses to typical objections such as,

"I'm not trying to sell you anything today, I just want to get that info to you so you can make your own decision (coma) what e-mail address should I send it to?"

Notice that the rebuttle ends with a request for the response that you want! This makes it easier for them to give you what you want than to argue with you, and if they try to start an argument just say,

"Well I understand what you mean, but I just wanted to e-mail you some information (coma laugh) what address should I send it to?"

Did you notice what I just did? When you get comfortable with this, and if your prospect is friendly, you might add a few qualifying questions to the presentation. You might even find this works so well you want to start making "cold-calls."

OH, NO! NOW YER A TELEMARKETER - AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!
    Last edited by GuitarMaster; Jan 1, 2002 at 06:37.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats pretty good advice, grammar aside you should write a short article on how to talk on the phone.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks GuitarMaster. That was great information! I will do this tomorrow and I feel so much more comfortable about doing this now. You also reminded me that, yes, these people requested more info. from ME and provided ME with their phone numbers.

Yes, you should write an article.

SitePoint Enthusiast GuitarMaster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile I'm glad I could help

I should explain that I'm a mere student of Web design and don't currently work in the industry, but I do have 25+ years of sales experience (including investments, market research, and executive recruiting) most of it on the phone.

Yes, I know what you're thinking, but with all the negativity directed at telemarketers and sales people in general, it may keep things in perspective to remember that NOBODY else works until somebody sells something. People don't like to be interupted in their day, and they certainly don't like to feel pressured, BUT a call from a truly personable and professional telemarketer can actually be the high point of your day. The really good ones can lift you out of a bad mood in the first three seconds, though admittedly, there aren't many of us.

Having said that, I'd be happy to write an article if there is genuine interest. Since I don't yet work in this industry what I would write would have to be pretty generic but if there are specific questions I can address them. I can also script presentations if I know the purpose of the calls you want to make. Anyone with questions may add them to this thread or PM me.

I'd like to move into Web design professionally. Do you think the marketing side might help me get my foot in the door?
    Last edited by GuitarMaster; Jan 19, 2002 at 04:13.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good advertising rule is the rule of 7. It takes 7 times of seeing your business before someone may contact you.

When you call them, see what you can do to help their business - what they're working on, if you can add them to your ezine list, if they know someone they can recommend you to, etc. Provide them with referral sources in your community, too. Possibly send another note out with some sort of article or information on businesses or website development (do you have a check list of some sort?)

While you want their business... they want to know what you can do to help them. Most folks don't come from what the customer really wants... even in their brochures. Make sure you let them know the benefits to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to follow up on what happened...

I made 2 scripts as was suggested, one if I reached a machine and one if I got a live person. I made it quick and simple. I have only called 25 out of a list of 37 good numbers (some wgere wrong #'s). I will finish up the rest next week.

In trying to obtain their emails for our e-zine, I got one absolute refusal, 3 emial addies and the rest I had to leave a message. Of the four I spoke with, they were all very nice (even the refusal). I also view this as making a valuable contact w/ a possible client and helping them to begin to trust in me and feel comfortable with me.

With the ones that I left a message with, I am going to follow the advice that I read in a recent marketing case study. In the write-up it said that,initally, the callers made 3 attempts over a 3 week period trying to contact a real human, leaving a message each time to please call back. Apparently, the callers (the company in the case study) had great response on the third message left (not much response after the first and second messages) so, they began pushing it to a 4th call on the 4th week on the ones that still hadn't responded. Once again, they got more response (people calling back). Then they moved it to 5 calls and were still getting people to call back. In the article it said they were going to keep increasing the number of calls and messages left to exhaust the calling list until people on the list were just not interested in responding anymore.

I will do this and try to remember to let you know what happened. (Probably get some angry people calling me back after the 4th message I've left them....."STOP CALLING ME, YOU FREAK!!!!!") Also, bear in mind my list is only 37. This article was talking about a list of about 1,000.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about making 7 phone calls... its' about contacts. An article you think would be helpful, taking them out to lunch, etc.

Check out the book Power Networking.

Mostly it's about getting out of the house, and meeting people in person.

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Maria,

I do network locally and I am a very active member of my Chamber of Commerce (even on the Ambassodor Committee and New Member Committee).

All I needed to accomplish with this list was to get their email addys. You see, I was given everything else but that and they live in all different parts of the country. So I just wanted to get them on my email list (by asking of course) and that was all I am trying to do.

But, thanks so much for your advice, Maria. I like the article idea!