SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is it possible to "touch" a file using a client-side script?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to touch (update file's modified date property) using only client-side scripting? Or to write to a file to a specific directory using only client side scripts?

I want to use the change to trigger a program which monitors files. This is for piece of interactive software on a totally closed system i.e. a kiosk (WinXP Professional) so I can adjust browser security settings if anyone knows a way. I'd rather not use cookies as I'd like to keep all the software in one directory.

Cheers guys.
    BTW will be gone now for a couple of hours so please don't be offended if I don't applaud your wonderful suggestions straight away

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a client-side script only...nope. Javascript is in a sandbox inside the browser (It is suppose to be anyways) it doesn't have access outside of that sandbox.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    javascript can only write some information to a client machine through the use of cookies...

as said above their is no direct way to write to a client file from the browser. that would pose security risks if it were ever allowed and is why it was never meant to do that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've just received the code from the kiosk supplier, it looks like they're implementing the interface funtionality through client side vb script using activex controls in IE. Unfortunately I can't post the code for copyright reasons

I'm hoping that I can tweak it a bit to rename the picture being sent and save it separately. Thanks for the help guys, I should be set now.