SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody with experience in running Wordpress Mu?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in so please move it if you must, moderators.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience in running the Wordpress Mu version http://mu.wordpress.org/ ?

I've been considering running a blog hosted platform as a way for the business people of my alumni to get their own business blog up and running. I have to look at the details a bit further but I think I could make a pretty decent side income from selling web design services and such to the alumni since alot of them are entrepreneurs and such.

My personal concern is that running Wordpress Mu requires quite a bit of knowledge about servers and such. I really don't have much knowledge about that. I'm looking for insights from others who have tried running it and what challenges they may have faced?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that so far it has some bugs, but I've slowly been working through them...

They also have a forum with some people who know there stuff...

I have also seen successful sites using it so I still have my hopes.
    • Follow the dancing banana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their support forum for MU is worthless at this point. There aren't any mods and you are left on your own. They are probably spread thin so I understand that. Which is why I have a better chance of getting insights here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ran it for a while

you need root access to be able to sort certain issue's, and if you dont make the changes properly, you will end up with more issues

its a good system, and works well, its hard to tell weather to endorse or distaint the product

the product works well but the dev team on it arent as progressive as wordpress dev members

if you get it up and running, you will encounter small issue's, i think wordpress mu's strive for username.domain.com causes most of the problems when domain.com/username is more than enough for most sites

if i was on that dev team i'd be building a solid product that works on a basic level, and then adding the advanced features.

give the install a try, but obtain root access before hand

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO all wordpressMU has going for it is the name.

Take a look at lifetype. It's much easier to admin.
    http://www.lifetype.net/

Also take a look at b2evolution
    http://b2evolution.net/

If you don't mind server side java, the scalability of roller looks to be insane. (I've not tried it. I'm an anti-java bigot.)
    http://rollerweblogger.org/project/
    Last edited by VelvetElvis; Dec 6, 2006 at 01:37.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WordPress MU site mentions that 99% of MU code is the same as standard WordPress. Also mentions that features and developments for one of the versions also benefits the other. Seems as if much of the codebase is shared. That's what I would expect, anyhow.

The way I understood it previously, MU is simply the same as standard MP but setup for more than one user/blogger. All else being the same, I would think that many mods for standard wordpress will work for MU - if not right out of the box, then probably with very little additional coding to make it work.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running it here. I haven't had any issues once I worked through the initial setup (which took a couple of days along with support from my web host).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaron, have you successfully installed any mods made for standard WP into WP MU?
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john2k View Post
    aaron, have you successfully installed any mods made for standard WP into WP MU?
    No, I haven't, but I haven't really tried either. As soon as it gets a little more popular, I will put more time into it. I'm also allowing the MU codebase to develop more also. I was using version 0.7 for months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was curious as to what you guys thought about my business strategy as well? To repeat;

I wanted to offer this to the alumni of my business school for those interesting in setting up their own personal or business blog and as a way to create an alumni blog network.

And then I'd offer ancillary services such as tweaking their blog design [ie; color scheme, layout, etc...] or full blown web design as well for those who may be entrepreneurs in need of a web presence. Viable strategy?

For those like Aaron who administer their own Mu network, have you had to experience alot of headaches with members setting up their own blog through your domain? Or is it easy peesy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once it was setup, it was easy. There is just so many of these services out there now, that I'm just sure offering a blog alone is enough.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tried and used it for a few months. Found it was great but like everything 99% ofthe blogs created were spam and it got to somewhere in the realm of 6000 blogs and an enormous db.

It's nice and simple to use but atm is just to resource hungry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aj510- i think if you're getting 99% of the blogs created as spam then I'd have to see what kind of target market you are approaching with your service? what's atm?