SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange issue with some IE6 versions

I am creating a small web site for a local society - nothing special, XHTML & CSS. It works fine in Opera, FireFox, Safari, Konqueror, under Windows & Linux, but not IE6. I've not tested it with earlier versions of IE, but in the one copy of IE7 I have access to it's fine. The CSS and the HTML validate correctly.

The page has a header, footer and 3 columns. With the central column only there is a problem. The problem is that the central column sometimes appears blank. If you open another window in front of it, then close that window, however much of the central column was obscured by the opened window appears correctly.

I have tested it on two of my employer's laptops: that used by myself and a colleague who we assume have identical business builds. On mine it exhibits the fault, on his it is perfect. On my home desktop, which is WinXP out of the box with automatic updates, the fault appears. On my wife's laptop, with WIndows preinstalled by the manufacturer, it's fine. Other friends report it working correctly.

I am utterly flumoxed. Any help would be very much appreciated. The test page can be viewed at www.techieinblack.info/webtest/template.html - many thanks in advance for assistance.

Wellinburgher

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This, again, shows just how lousy IE6 is as a browser. Don't have time to look right now.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Says 404.