SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should..." stand back often and think like one of your site's vistors!

Web Designers please be careful when - and if - you change/update/fix your viewer's computer settings in order to customize your website's visuals!

I personally have my system set for *My* preferences (fonts, colors, etc) and *My PCs* limits (monitor size, etc) - Before I upgraded, my old computer would crash if the monitor's resolution was increased to anything above 640x480!

My PC is tempermental enough now without having the system modified without my knowledge - *Plus* not everyone has systems that can handle everything that web designers can do these days!

If you must, then give me a choice to change or not - Always remember how your changes to your website affect your visitors!

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm new to this forum.
    Looks like a good one.
    Well, can anyone tell me if there is any way to override the browsers text size setting.
    I have a problem with the biggest sizes in the menu-frame on the left side on this site: www.norsk-automasjon.no/test2/

Thanks,
    Trond

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    css or cascading style sheets will override a browswer font setting. css can be used on links or plain text. They can also create hover effects(link text changes color or style on a mouse over). A good tutorial on how they are used and implemented can be found at the follwing site. http://echodev.com/tutorials/css/basics/index.shtml

hope tis is what you are looking for.
    Scarlet

------------------
    http://www.learning2earn.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

I think I have something to learn here. This link to stylesheets was really interesting.
    I think this may be the solution.

Regards,
    Trond

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overriding the default size settings in the browser is very risky. Millions of people around the world have bad eye-sight. This means they may not be able to read your small text. If you use CSS to override the settings then I suggest using relative sizes like:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>font-size: 1em;
    <LI>font-size:medium;
    <LI>font-size:100%;
    </UL>

This will allow visitors to override your settings if they can't read it. If you use pixels, points or other fixed methods to set your font size then the viewer can't resize the text. If they can't resize it and can't read it then they will simply go elsewhere.

I remember reading somewhere that 2 out of three Americans need some sort of vision correction at one point in their lives. Out of a family of 5, I am the only one without glasses though I will probably need them as I get older. Both of my children require glasses as does everyone in my ex-wife's family. In fact out of the people I know, I think less than 100 don't require glasses and my extended family includes over 400 individuals.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The &lt;style&gt; will solve my problem by setting text size to the biggest size possible (witout distorting the formatting) for the menu-frame, and keeping the size user-selectable for the main text-frame.

However, I discovered that font formatting with &lt;style&gt; gives different results for IE5 and NN5. NN5 will not format all text (eg within tables) when using &lt;style&gt; applied to body-text.
    Any experiences with this?

BTW, does there exist any good overview of all known compatibility problems between IE and NN?

Thanks for the wise advices regarding this issue.
    Trond