SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acer Aspire 1524WLMi Graphics Card

Hey,

I have an Acer Aspire 1524WLMi Laptop and its just recently started playing up. No output it being displayed on the screen at all.

The graphics have been playing up with Windows XP SP2 when trying to play OpenGL or Direct3D games. There was either a blank screen or a multi coloured display. I wasn't able to sort out this problem then so I formatted and installed Linux (Fedora Core 6 x86_64). The default "nv" driver that came with this worked fine but without 32bit colour and 3d acceleration.

I tried installing the official NVIDIA graphics but they did not work properly and all that was displayed was a huge mess of colour. I have been using the default "nv" since then.

Yesterday I turned on the laptop and no display was being ouput at all. Not even the bios/boot screen. I have tried attaching an external monitor too and this did not work.

I think this will be a graphics card problem rather than a display problem. The graphics card is a dedicated Geforce FX Go 5700 64mb.

Has anyone had this problem? Because the card is dedicated, is it possible to just replace the chip? What about the possibilty of an upgrade of the chip? Are there any further tests I could do to diagnose the problem?

Cheers,
    -Ice

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it has fried, replacing components in Laptops is a very tricky operation and something you probably couldn't do, I'd take it into a local computer store and get it fixed.