SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMF 1.1 Final is out! Your thoughts

SMF 1.1 Final has been released now. What are your thoughts? Are you phpBB users considering changing?

Im pretty excited to update. Just need to check all my custom changed dont get ruined.

What do you think of SMF 1.1? Well done all the people who worked on it (I saw someone from the team at sitepoint once)

-=WebHosting Commander=- a1whs.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sucked for me cause i had to remove all my mods (35+ cool mods) and would either have to recode them or get latest updates for the same, but do not see any difference in smf 1.1rc2 to smf 1.1 so do not know whats the hype about.
    One thing that really sucks in SMF which i miss from phpbb is that they do not post code changes, so users can mannually update their files so the mods do not get broken, like in phpbb you can upgrade to new version if you got mods without breaking anything.

But smf no no , they just do not want to do that, seems like i might end up going with phpbb again cause atleast than i do not have to reinstall same mods over and over and over.

Cheers

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but do not see any difference in smf 1.1rc2 to smf 1.1 so do not know whats the hype about.
    There are many big changes, check the changelog to see! And of course many security and bug fixes too.
    One thing that really sucks in SMF which i miss from phpbb is that they do not post code changes, so users can mannually update their files so the mods do not get broken, like in phpbb you can upgrade to new version if you got mods without breaking anything.
    If you had a look at the changelog, you'd see that it would be infeasible to do so. There are many huge changes between 1.1 RC2 and 1.1 Final, and it would just be a waste of effort to do so. If you really do need them, you can generate your own with a diff/patch type program..
    Remember that for security updates you don't need to uninstall any mods. Will you be able to move from phpBB 2 to phpBB 3 without uninstalling/loosing mods? I doubt it..
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."