SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Sell Ruby on Rails in the Work Place

I've been footed with the task of selling the Ruby on Rails framework at my work that has been driven on php for years. Because php is so robust and rather complex for getting things done, I've gone ahead to propose Ruby on Rails.

What I'd like to know is how other people went about something like this, and especially with Ruby on Rails. Describe your experiences, failure or open arms I want all the dirt. And if you were successful what are some things other can do to push rails efficiently in the work place?

Thanks in advance.
    Keep it Symple!

Awesome Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpdesigns
    I've been footed with the task of selling the Ruby on Rails framework at my work that has been driven on php for years. Because php is so robust and rather complex for getting things done, I've gone ahead to propose Ruby on Rails.
    I'll play devil's advocate here: rather than selling RoR why not sell a proven PHP based framework if that's the language you're already using instead?

http://www.cakephp.org/
    http://www.codeigniter.com/
    http://www.symfony-project.com/

Perhaps migrating to a PHP framework will alleviate some of the "complexity" you're feeling now.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These PHP frameworks aren't half as good as Rails (at least cake, I haven't used the other two): you're still writing PHP code.

Show, don't tell. That worked for Rails. The screencasts show how productive Rails is, they're not just words.

You could implement a PHP project your company is working on (or part of it) with Rails. Then show why it's better (less, clearer code).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Write a small project in PHP and Rails. Keep notes while you write both.

Now compare the two. Where did Rails do better? Where did PHP do better? Did they do better in areas that matter to your workplace? (i.e. if you do a lot of short-term projects that need to be turned out quickly, which one allowed you to complete the project quicker?)

If you're making the right decision it should be able to sell itself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vgarcia, that is a novel idea. I just spent a day writing a blog engine in rails (ho hum I know.). Took a total of about 12-15 hours. In PHP this will have taken me at least the entire weekend and maybe a few extra days for working out bugs and kinks.

I forgot to add they were set on using Drupal to do a full redesign. They needed solid content management, but content management is but one aspect of a web project. More flexibility is necessary and due to their deep desire to implement philosophies of web 2.0, Drupal just wasn't going to cut it, at least not without a sick amount of hacking and non-standard tweaking.

I decided on rails because of productivity. PHP isn't productive. Yes we have frameworks for php now. But no amount of framework will relieve any of laborious coding when it comes to php. Thats just been my experience.

Whats the best way to show? Presentations (powerpoint, etc...), meeting agendas, actually proving rails by trialling it on a smaller project?
    Keep it Symple!

Awesome Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpdesigns
    Whats the best way to show? Presentations (powerpoint, etc...), meeting agendas, actually proving rails by trialling it on a smaller project?
    As Fenrir2 has stated: "Show, don't tell... The screencasts show how productive Rails is, they're not just words." I would definitely take that route with your employer.

People respond with much more interest and enthusiasm to video than they do to the written word or PowerPoint presentations. Build a very small app that will impress upon your audience the power of RoR. During the development process take notes about how you accomplished certain tasks. Then start from scratch, this time recording how you did. That'll knock their socks off....

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also create a list of things you didn't have to do using Rails (things you had to do using PHP).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2 View Post
    You can also create a list of things you didn't have to do using Rails (things you had to do using PHP).
    1. addslashes mysql_escape_string mysql_real_escape_string