SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Is Better Fusebox or CakePHP?

Hello guys,

I was wondering which is better to use either fusebox or cakephp?
    My superior wanted me to use fusebox but I'm kinda new of this.
    I proposed him the amazing power of cakephp but he insisting that
    cakephp is not for largescale project. Could you give me some
    advice on how to deal with this? I really love cakephp and I wanted
    to spread that to my company but they never appreciate it (what a
    hell).

regards,
    Mark
    Ebay API, OSC/CRE/OscMax/ZenCart/SEO Services
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your boss. CakePHP is not mature nor suitable for a large scale project. It's a one-man unsupported framework based on Rails. Fusebox has a larger community for help at the very least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I thought that cakephp is better than that. Because cakephp sounds they're the number 1 framework based on Developer forums. But I'd like to know what are the differences of these 2 framework. Could someone give me a comparison with this 2 frameworks?
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CakePHP's domain isn't even two years old. Good frameworks have been around a lot longer than that.

Main difference between that and FuseBox is that FuseBox is a framework for ColdFusion. I heard there's a PHP port but don't know anyone that's ever used it in PHP.

CakePHP is based on Ruby on Rails, which is a framework more geared towards agile development... nothing wrong with that in theory, but for large scale projects you're more likely to see iterative design methodology and a more traditional MVC framework with well defined object-relational mappings rather than something like Rails where the framework guesses about your schema based on object property names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's make me convince now. But my main problem is I cant see a website that has a fusebox php tutorial. Most of it are fusebox CF tutorial. Do you know any website that offers articles/tutorials regarding fusebox PHP? Btw, I really appreciate the way you help me. I wish I could repay you.
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not really qualified to comment on this subject, but it might be an idea to find which features of Fusebox your superior values highest.

This chart might help you. http://www.phpit.net/demo/framework%...ison/chart.php as might the article from which it is taken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was my basis before. That's why I was looking a reputable site to prove why Fusebox is better that CakePHP.
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just started using cakephp - it seems like a great framework - the only downside seems to be the lack of support - there don't seem to be any cake dedicated forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but its growing now. because a lot of people thinks very useful
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

SitePoint Evangelist superuser2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This depends on the server-side technology you want to use. Fusebox is a ColdFusion framework, use it for ColdFusion. cakePHP is a PHP framework, use it for PHP. But whatever you do, don't use a little-used port with a tiny user base. In my personal opinion, you shouldn't use a port of a framework because that framework was designed for it's original language. I don't know much about ColdFusion, but most programming languages are designed for different purposes. One framework really can't work for all of them.

--superuser2

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    ...It's a one-man unsupported framework based on Rails...
    Dan,

Please back up these canned comments you always seem to use when replying to a thread related to CakePHP

CakePHP is not based on Rails, it is based on some of the same concepts as Rails, the primary one being conventions over configuration.

Our user group on google is the second largest php related google group with over 3200 members, with answers for questions submitted to the list very soon after they hit the list.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/cake-php/

The IRC channel you will find over 100 users there daily, all willing to help answer questions.
    #cakephp at irc.freenode.net

Use our web based interface if you do not have an IRC client
    http://irc.cakephp.org/irc.html
    I am there often myself.

Last few months we have averaged 20,000 downloads of the code.
    Numerous fixes: https://trac.cakephp.org/wiki/changelog/1.1.x.x
    The core code is very stable and used by many companies.

As for it being a one man project, I am the person who has final decision what is added to the core, if that is what you mean one man project then I agree.

But with 3200 community members giving input on what they would like to see, then the group I work with deciding if it fits into our vision, I would say it is not a one man project.

darksystem,

I suggest you visit the links I posted above, see the support available by not only the developers of CakePHP, but also the supportive community behind it
    /**
    * @author Larry E. Masters aka PhpNut
    * @url CakePHP Rapid Development Framework
    */

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PhpNut
    darksystem,
    I suggest you visit the links I posted above, see the support available by not only the developers of CakePHP, but also the supportive community behind it
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by superuser2
    This depends on the server-side technology you want to use. Fusebox is a ColdFusion framework, use it for ColdFusion. cakePHP is a PHP framework, use it for PHP. But whatever you do, don't use a little-used port with a tiny user base. In my personal opinion, you shouldn't use a port of a framework because that framework was designed for it's original language. I don't know much about ColdFusion, but most programming languages are designed for different purposes. One framework really can't work for all of them.
    --superuser2
    Fusebox has also a PHP Framework. They also have a growing community but lack of documentation/manual. If you've visit their site, you'll know it.
    Lucki Multimedia - Email

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

Please back up these canned comments you always seem to use when replying to a thread related to CakePHP
    Don't make things up. This is the 4th thread I have ever mentioned CakePHP in. Two were questions I posed about the framework when I tried it out myself. Not comments, practical questions, nothing negative. The third I simply mentioned it in a list of frameworks. This is the only time I've made a recommendation against it, so how can I always make canned comments about CakePHP?

The IRC channel you will find over 100 users there daily, all willing to help answer questions.
    I've been there. The only person that attempted to answer any questions was yourself, which was very nice, but not really the level of support you'd find from an established framework like Struts or .NET.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried fusebox and it seems cool and it has a pretty good manuals compare
    to cakephp, they had a very complicated manual. I'm still using cake though as I am used to it to make programs but I think they will provide a good manual someday. If they could provide a very nice manual, I'm sure a lot of noob php developers will love it.
    Lucki Multimedia - Email