SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a desktop theme available from my site (www.pawsitronic.com/pawmarket.html)

Recently a friend of mine has tried to install this theme on three different computers, and the .wav files won't play. It gives the error message "Couldn't find destination format". The theme works fine on my computer and another I have installed it on.

How can I make sure that it works right for most people? I believe I've done everything right..so now I need heeeeeelp!!

Sparkie www.pawsitronic.com

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the .wav files play ok when double clicked on using explorer. It might just be that the .wav files were not setup correctly in the sounds control panel.

Regards,

------------------
    Keith McLaughlin
    Soon to come,
    www.webmasterswork.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I know, the .wav files won't play anywhere, not through winamp, media player, or even through explorer. It still gives the same error message.

The only thing I can think of, was that the theme file was made using a theme installer/editor from tucows. If you manually installed the .zip file instead of running the installer, could that have messed it up?

Thanks for your help!
    Sparkie

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of DirectX do you have installed on your computer (check your control panel) and what version of Windows Media Player do you have installed?

My guess is that you have MPEG .WAV encoding on your computer. If this is so then you need to let people know. In order to play the .WAV files they will need DirectX 6.2 or Higher (7 is the current version) and Windows Media Player 5.0 or Higher (6.4 is current version, 7 is in beta). Both of these can be found at the Windows Update site. A lot of magazines also publish DirectX on their CD's because it has become so integral to Window's games. If you don't have the DirectX Control Panel installed you can also download that from Windows Update and find it on various Magazine CD's like MaximumPC.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked under the control panel but couldn't find anything for ActiveX versions. But I have the latest version of the media player.

I'll add the link to the windows update site from my download page to let people know what they need to use the theme. Thanks Wayne!

Sparkie
    www.pawsitronic.com