SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox - cant get the latest Version

Hi from York, UK

I'm trying to get the latest version 2.0 firefox but..everytime I follow the instructions I just still end up with my previouslly installed version 5.5 (thinks its 5.5).

So then i click on updates thinking the current outdated version would recognize it would need updating but the dialogue box just reads back "no updates". This puzzles me. If version 2 is the latest and Ive got an older version why doesnt it launch into getting the newer version?

Any suggestions welcome...
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try removeing firefox first in control panel, add/remove programmes

cant see why theres a problem though.

plus this thread is in the wrong place
    Shine on you crazy diamond.
    Jon's boring blog about nothing.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old version is 1.5, not 5.5. Are you sure you mean Firefox?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no problems downloading here, i think this latest version of FireFox is great, really fast and not once has it crashed, pretty stable here

as far as advice goes i would agree with jonboi, uninstall then go try and download again ... good luck with it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the version no. I doubt you are talking about IE. But anyway if you need to install Firefox 2.0 then you can try by removing the first installation of Firefox if any and then try installing FF 2.0.
    Affiliate Programs at AffiliateBOT.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Once I escape the office I'll do the uninstall route. Its definately firefox's latest version I'm going for.

But I'm curious why dosnt my current older version of firefox detect it is outdated and automatically alert me to a newer version. I mean without being psychic I'd never know my current version had been superseded.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'd do an uninstall. You can rename the current directory your old Firefox is in and then install the new one in the directory the setup wizard suggests. That way if you have problem with your new install, you'll still have your old FF.

However, I just installed the 2.0 on my WindowsXP PC and had no problems with it overwriting the old one. At one point in the installation it will tell you that you need to close your current version. Did you do that?

Another problem you maybe had is that FireFox downloads programs and has an option to save the download (which I use). At the end of your download, you must manually request installation. On my PC, there is a "Download Complete" window that comes up from the task bar.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's talking about Netscape?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no Firefox 5.5 or Netscape 5.5.

Perhaps you are trying to move from Internet Explorer 5.5 to Firefox 2.0. In this case, it isn't possible to uninstall Internet Explorer 5.5. You will have to install Firefox 2.0, then go into Start -> Programs and run Mozilla Firefox. When you run it for the first time it should ask if you want to set it as the default browser.

You can delete the Internet Explorer link from your desktop or quick launch bar if you like.

----

On the other hand, you may have meant you are upgrading from Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 2.0. In that case, I would not recommend uninstalling the previous version. Simply install the newest version by downloading it from mozilla.com, and if necessary, make sure it installs into the same directory as the old version (probably \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox)
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    I don't think I'd do an uninstall. You can rename the current directory your old Firefox is in and then install the new one in the directory the setup wizard suggests. That way if you have problem with your new install, you'll still have your old FF.
    If you are interested in backing up your Firefox environment including bookmarks, history, saved password, etc, you need to backup your Mozilla profile directory.

It is usually in
    C:\Documents and Settings\<my windows username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<some profile ID>

For an easier way of backing up your profile directory try MozBackup:
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

It isn't as important to backup the Firefox application directory when upgrading. Also, if you have multiple versions of Firefox in different directories like you suggest, then you may encounter problems when, say, running Firefox 1.5 on a profile which has been upgraded to 2.0. So I'd say if you are going to do this then make a backup of your Mozilla profile directory before upgrading too.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is OK now. Ive got the latest version 2.0 and thank you for all the tips