SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McAfee SiteAdvisor Slams Software company- is your site next?

Coffeecup Software is a reputable web design software company with an impeccible reputation and a history of complaince with spam rules. They do not manufacture software with adware, spyware or any other known malicious files, so why is McAfee SiteAdvisor saying they do? I was directed to the site by a friend who had received a warning from their McAfee Anti-Virus software that Coffeecup.com is a known threat. In fact there are probably millions of internet users receiving the same warnings.

SiteAdvisor.com is a website run by McAfee, a long time Anti-Virus software company and Nortons biggest competitor. They have set up a website and sytem to warn users of potentially threatening sites through their Anti-Virus software. Now something has gone horribly wrong and someone has found a loophole in the system and used it to their advantage to inflict damage on innocent companies.

Apparently all you have to do is sign up to be a reviewer then you can post a bad mark against any website you want. The information you post is not verified in any way by McAfee yet if a reviewer has posted something bad about a site McAfee will with their Anti-Virus software display a red warning box to anyone who tries to visit that site. That is a pretty bold step on McAfee's part since the information isnt verified.

You can see what I am talking about here:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/coffeecup.com

I thought it was a bit odd so I looked a little closer and noticed a few things.

This user: Andy99, if you click on his name then click on view all posts this guy has posted alot on there and 99% all bad accusations. All posts are about software companies, nothing else. All of his posts claim he is getting the information from a site that he posts. I checked all of the sites and there is no such information there. The sites he references only indicate that Coffeecup produced and sold Anti-spyware and Anti-adware software. Also the sites he is referencing are mostly blogs wich are not authorities on software anyways. His postings are very robotic... Like he copy and pasted them over and over again.

This guy is what is commonly known as a Troller... he probably works for some software company and found a way to make certain sites appear to be a threat. Although the information is unreliable because McAffee does not validate or check any of these posts for validity so anyone can post anything they want. But this is not know to the common McAfee user and when they see the warning box pop up it alerts them and causes them to avoid the site. This in itself is extremely damaging in various ways to a legitimate upstanding company like CoffeeCup Software.

There is also another problem with what McAfee is reporting, if you look at the downloads test section it has a big red X there indicating that there is a problem. But if you look at each download they tested they each have a green arrow next to them and each download tested says:

In our tests, this download was free of adware, spyware and other unwanted programs.

Nusiance Score 0 out of 10

So if all of the files they downloaded and tested none have any spyware, adware or anything else malicious why is there a warning that there is problems with downloads? It doesnt make sense McAfee.

Apparently this sytem is flawed to the point where it is allowed to damage the reputation of innocent companies and direct people away from their websites with completely false and unjust warnings. I see damages being inflicted here in many ways on a massive scale based on a post by someone who is unknown, not an authority nor reputable. I think McAfee has put themselves into a horrible spot here. I doubt if a simple apology will suffice here.

Another observation I made on the SiteAdvisor site was that if you look up mcafee.com or siteadvisor.com, their 2 websites. You will notice that although they have many red flagged reviews the status of their sites remain green. Apparently McAfee is exempt from their own rules and system. According to their procedure their websites should in fact be red flagged and users should get a warning that the site is a threat.

This falsification has also damaged my site because of the links I have to coffeecup.com and I am sure there are many others. McAfee will be hearing alot more from me.

Maybe you should check on your site to see what they are saying about you and if they are warning users that your site is a threat.

Kelly Welsh
    admin@mapzone.net

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a shocker!

Moved to a more appropriate forum - I do hope Mcafee get this sorted out pronto before their rep goes right down the pan...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main site was finally accepted through the SiteAdvisor process. It had been a few months, so I'd actually forgotten all about it until I came across my finding in Google.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would appear that the issue with coffeecup.com has been resolved. Maybe they booted all of the comments from said individual.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    What a shocker!

Moved to a more appropriate forum - I do hope Mcafee get this sorted out pronto before their rep goes right down the pan...
    Indeed... luckily they've fixed it. That's kind of scary, though.