User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Layout Problem for Portfolio.

Hey all,

Hi have made a css layout in photoshop which is all sliced but when i go to optimise it as html and images its fine but when i do the css/html code up
    its all messed up and not like what image ready has done this is what i have

you can see it here what i have done so far http://bcscripting.uni.cc/

But now its suppose to look like

This http://bcscripting.uni.cc/includes/test/bcdesigns.html

What am i doing wrong?

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    First of all you have several errors in your html which make your page difficult for browsers to parse correctly. Most notably no character encoding and no doc-type definition.

You also need to begin your document with the <html> and <body> tags. You have them at the close, but not the beginning.

Unless you are using absolute positioning, IMO you are better off declaring widths and heights in percentages as opposed to pixels.

You are declaring both your container and elements inside your container at 1100px wide. You need to allow for borders, margins, etc. unless you declare them at 0. I would suggest you look at the visual formatting model at the W3C and maybe take a look at an html or xhtml tutorial or two.

Finally, you didn't ask, but I'm on a roll. I would scrap this design entirely. You are using and image for top nav and that is so old hat (definitely B.C.E.) If you are thinking of doing professional web design, you must start with a site that shows you have the skills to do the job. Both your design and your presentation (even the image, not the html) are lacking in this respect.

You need to do some studying on basics like font-size and color as well as html and css before you hang out your shingle.

By the way -- your signature link isn't working.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you can't spellt 'border' - you have spelt is 'boarder' at one point. Suggest you validate your page before coming for help - there are a LOT of errors in there, as has been pointed out above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your using images where they are not needed. For example, you have a grey background image - instead you can have a div with a grey background colour.

There are a few examples like this throughout the site, which are likely to start curing your image problem.

Hope this helps

James

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i am trying to get it so its like the one i showed u how i want it to be ill add in all the neccessary code when i have it how i want it to look like.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you need to add in the necessary code now, or itll never look like what you want!