SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't a school reach my website?

My grandson's teacher wants to use a lesson on my website http://www.desktopfalcon.com for a class project. However, although she can reach my site from home, she cannot do so from her school computer. Not sure if this is a problem with her school browser setting or her school firewall.

This is what she writes:
    I tried again to access the pages and still nothing. I tried in Netscape and in Explorer. In Explorer, it kept prompting me to download files. I typed in your web address and then it asked me to start downloading a file "desktopfalcon [1].

She continues:
    I wonder if the server in my district is filtering your site for some reason. I know that in the past I have not been able to access sites through my district server but I am able to access them at home.

Me again:
    I live across the country from the school, so cannot readily visit to trouble shoot. Have asked the teacher to contact the school network administrator, but no response yet. I wonder if there are some things I can do at this end to help trouble shoot?

Not sure if this is the right forum for help on this issue. If not, please advise what forum.
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics
    http://www.clickbasics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't sound liek filtering as filtering would not try to make some one downlaod a file.

Are you trying to get any particular script to run on the users side, or is it all just staic html that i sent?

edit:

i just visted the site, and it worked fine for me, But I coudl nto see how your are generating the pages like most sites so I guess you using somthing really strange.

anyway I looked at your html and it contained stuff like

H1 align="center" olor="green"

which is messes up html I think, and not saying this is your problem but could be related.
    Last edited by jkcity; Dec 29, 2001 at 20:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your opening and closing <body> tags are messed up, other than that it seems more like a browser issue. What are the versions of IE and NS that she's using?
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys.

Turns out I had some wierd tags. I ran my code verifier in Homesite and came up with a bunch of errors, some minor and some major. I spent about a day cleaning up my site.

Then I downloaded Netscape Navigator 2.02. I can see the basics of every page fine.

Not yet sure if this was the problem at the school, but it could have been. I will let you know when I find out.
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics
    http://www.clickbasics.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by paulcj2
    Netscape Navigator 2.02. I can see the basics of every page fine.

Please tell me the school (or you for that matter) is not still using NN2 !!!! i have that on 3 floppy disks from back in about 96/97...