SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry The Usability Kit - Is that really the price!?!

It is a shame that Sitepoint is charging so much for this. I was very tempted to buy, and have bought many Sitepoint books. But the price is eye popping for a book with magnetic widgets and a few videos.

I understand the concept of earning money for sharing knowledge, but $196 for a book? Your tech books are starting to rival college course books in cost. (Yes, I got the email for a percentage off for previously buying books. It is still too much in my opinion.)

I paid the high price for The Search Engine Marketing Kit, and was sorely disappointed. While that book was good, it was not worth the high price when other books give the same info for much less.

Is this going to be the future downfall of Sitepoint, where no one is willing to pay these high prices for simply "good" books posing as miracle kits?

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to look at it as a kit. It's not a book. It's goes way beyond a book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it is poorly described. However, from what I can see it comes with a few videos, some magnets, and a book.

The Search Engine Marketing was also called a "kit", and it was just a book/binder.

I suppose that if the Search Engine Marketing Kit had been more fulfilling, for the price, I would not be so jaded. (I am not saying I know how to make it more fulfilling, I just didn't see the reason why it deserved the high price.)
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always back up all our products with a money back guarantee -- so if you buy the kit/training manual and end up feeling that its not as described, you can always mail it back to us for a full refund.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me longer than the 30 day guarantee to figure out I was dissatisfied with the SEO Marketing Kit. I kept hoping that the next chapter would make up for it. This didn't happen. (But I never broke the CDRom enclosure.)
    Happy Coding,
    Swiftone

Unique Web Sites

SitePoint Enthusiast TheLunchBox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel.

I remember sitepoint before the $800 survey report and before the stupid "catfish" ad that plagues the site.

$197 is ridiculous for a book. I know it's a "kit", but the kit appears to essentially be a copy of some of the book text on CD. The normal cost of a book is $39.95, is the CD really worth $160?

Maybe it's the Magnetic Web Widgets that drives up the cost.

The whole SitePoint site has changed over the past year from a developer friendly site with a personal/geeky touch. Now it's driven by money and alexa rankings.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you really considering buying a Usability Kit from the people who brought you this:

Note not just the float issues but the text wrap issues.