SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape & IIS Issue with Web Sharing Permission

I am having an issue with Netscape & IIS.

Here is my situation. Everything was working fine with both IE and Netscape. Then I completed some code that uploads a file to the server. In order to complete this, I had to change the Web Sharing permissions of the folder in order for the Upload to successfully complete. I added an Alias for the folder name is exactly what I did.

I tested this Web Sharing permissions change in IE and everything works perfect. But now when I open Netscape, I get the below popup asking for a username and password.

Enter username and password for at http://localhost
    User Name:
    Password:

The problem is now I can not access any page through the localhost using Netscape. If I go back and remove the Web Sharing permission (remove the Alias is exactly what I do), Netscape works again but then my file upload process fails because it does not have permission to write to the folder.

This is very annoying and there should be a way to get around this with flipping the Web Permission back and forth. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can correct this for Netscape?

Thanks

Original Gangster silver trophy Thing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you setting up the write permissions? Check out this tutorial:

http://www.webwizguide.info/asp/faq/...ermissions.asp

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the post. I followed these instructions step by step but Netscape still asks for a username and password. Do you have any other ideas on how I can solve this?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that IE uses integrated windows security -- so it automatically logs you in with the current username and password, if you were to access the site through another pc it would fail.

You need to enable anonymous access through IIS to the new web share you created.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have already enabled anonymous access. Also, I am not accessing the site from another PC. I have IE6 and Netscape7.2 installed on the same PC. I just like testing the pages I develop in multiple browsers.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK... I just re-read your post and I might have misread the last sentence. How do I enable anonymous access through IIS to the new web share?