SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could some one let me know if this is possible and, if so, how it can be done?

I have 5 assistant webmaster helping me run one of my websites. They each have a different section of the site to run and take care of on their own. I don't want to give out passwords to them for the entire site. Is it possible for me to create a password for a particular directory that only they can access? For example, one is running out of the "Info" directory. Can I password protect that so that the webmaster can upload only to that directory?

Along the same lines, is it possible to do the same with a CGI bin (i.e. split it up so that each of the 5 webmasters only has access to their specific scripts)?

I have a third party hosting the site, I am not hosting it myself.

Thanks in advance.
    -matt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is possible to allow only limited access to certain users....in Unix each directory and file has user permissions

chmod u+x for example allows a user to run a specific program (in UNIX)
    I think....anonymous ftp is the way to allow different access permissions to different users and your server has to support this feature. As for the cgi-bin maybe you could split it up into sub-directories then turn on permission access for users to their specific directory. I know this stuff is possible on my server, I have not used it yet because I haven t had to. All this depends on if you are using a UNIX based server and if I am right....don't bet the farm.

------------------
    http://www.learning2earn.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are various ways to do this. If you are using Unix you can just create .htaccess files for each directory that will only let the authorized user in. You would give the Webmaster access to read, write and execute. You would give World or user Nobody (how the webserver logins) write and execute permissions.

If your using Windows NT you would have to set up the NT user with specific permissions similar to above. This can be done through the Server Management Console, Frontpage Explorer or Visual Interdev.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com