SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this problem here. My visitors don't like an A-Z bar i am using right now.

Check out http://www.moviem.com/reviews/A/
    for example.

My users find it confusing and troublesome.
    How shoould I redesign the 'thing' so that it is convienent, not troublesome and yet does it job by showing links to reviews A-Z.

Should I create a whole index list or should I do a pop-up window of the A-Z thing?

Help!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Ok. this is just an opinion. I find the page looks boring, and empty....not confusing. I like that movie mania logo on the home page. Maybe you should include this on that page as well and put the navigation drop down menu above it but not as a drop menu. People like to see all their options at the same time and in a decorative manner. Set up frames (3) so the logo is on top with the navigation links the alphabet is on the left and the ratings of the movies can be in the bottom right frame. Don t use borders or scrolling on the upper and left frames so it will still look like one page. This format will fill up the page a little and perhaps make the navigation part easier for visitors to understand.
    Scarlet

------------------
    http://www.learning2earn.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Also add a search function, a all-on-one-page page, and maybe a section by movie type.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owen, what do you mean by movie type?
    You mean by categorizing the movie reviews with their genre?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he (owen) means to allow visitors to also search by movie type, action, drama, comedy, etc. I didn t look at your source code. Are you using a database and accessing your info or is everything on seperate pages. With what you are doing, database is the way to go, this will facilitate you supplying your visitors with multiple ways to search for movies....by title, by director, by type, by rating, by actor, by release date, etc, etc.....depending on how detailed you want the information you provide to be.
    Well whatever you decide, good luck.

Scarlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have considered using databases before but I dont really know how to implement a database. That's my problem. I know that databases are a big help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don t know much about data bases either..but with the site I am doing I have to use them......so.....I have decided to start with the bare esentials....
    1. set up a database...(table only)
    2. get info from a database table based on a parameter and display it
    3. send info to a database table
    so far I have set one up and stored it in the proper location..I am still having difficulty properly accessing it for I/O. Any info I get I will happy to share with you.

------------------
    http://www.learning2earn.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is a misunderstanding.

I don't know a single thing about databases etc. etc.!

Sorry but I'm really lost in this database thing. Are there books/websites you recommend?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest reading the PHP/MySQL article series going on here at Sitepoint. If your doing all your formatting by hand then your overworking yourself. You could be entering in each page through a HTML form and have the page created dynamically. Instead of hours of work you could probably update your page by spending a few minutes a day depending on how many movies you enter. I suggest checking out www.imdb.com and looking at their content. You might be able to use some of it (yes they allow this).

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Moderator/Internet Media Developer
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com