SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been working with Dreamweaver for some time now. I use the Dream Templates feature a lot, and it saves lots of time too.

When I save the template, it always states "This template no longer has any editable regions. If you update this file, you will loose all of the information you currently have on the page."

This didn't start happening until a couple of weeks ago, but when it started happening it really scared me. I am glad that all of my information is not lost.

Why does Dreamweaver say this? What can I do to stop it? Am I loosing anything when I click "OK"?

------------------
    http://redrival.com/trcfreebies/
    Get more hits, for free!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell us a little more. Are you modifying a template or making a new one?

Mike

------------------
    Street Bikers United - protecting the rights of motorcyclists worldwide.
    Cosmic Custom Airbrush - Hawaii's premier airbrush studio.
    New Life Community Church - Your Christian online community

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happens when I am modifying a Template and save it. I of couse have the editable region.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you were given an option to update the template and lose all data, then it sounds like you lost all data! the only way to verify this would be to actually look at all the pages that were adapted from the template. Did you change the name of the editable regions? Did you overwrite a template with one that didn't have the same names for the editable regions? That could defiately do it. If you didn't and still got this error, then your software may have ben corrupted. The only thing I'd recommend then, would be to reinstall the program, or delete the software from your machine and reinstall, then reboot (in that order). Of course, you could always go to Macromedia's web site and try to find out if there is a patch for your problem, or email tech support for help.

Good luck!
    Mike

------------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahaha this is hillarious!

Thanks for all of those suggestions, but I have already tried every single one.

I haven't lost a bit of data actually, which makes this even stranger.

I didn't change the name of the only editible region I used (content).

I reset my entire computer (for a different reason) and installed Dreamweaver again. (Of course, I had the entire site backed up). I opened the site again, modified the template like a good boy, and I got the same error.

This doesn't happen when I work on other sites, so maybe the template is corrupted somehow.

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trcfreebies - I thought that I was the only one having this happen!

I work with Dreamweaver2 and also got the same message "This template no longer has any editable regions. If you update this file, you will loose all of the information you currently have on the page" - but I admit that I don't get it much anymore. Sometimes when I create new sites (not pages) and use, for example, PhotoShop's Web Photo Gallery which I create Templates to use for photographer's websites this will happen - but I haven't seen this message for awhile - knock on cyberwood!

* * I have found that I have had to reapply the Template to all my pages, after resaving the template again even if I didn't do any changes (just changed one thing and undid the action so that I could save again)...

* * I also found that often unnessary tags somehow latched on to the 'editable area' so when I viewed the HTML I was able to delete anything unnecessary in or around.

And you will lose your content if you OK the message, as long as you don't save your page after! (p.s. Sometimes the temp files will retain what you did if you saved by error, but don't always count on it)

I admit I don't know the 'exact techno reason' for this but I did everything DynaMike did just like you...I just kept trying every option until I got back to my original Template design. And I never lost it - ever!

So I would also appreciate any input about this as it can be very frustrating when you just applied the template fine and then the next you get this error message...and don't know the why's...

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

[This message has been edited by WebKat (edited June 12, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it makes me feel better that I am not the only one out there.

I will try your suggestions soon...

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Dreamweaver templates but now I've found better solutions, like coding languages to dynamically include files OR just regular SSI. If I were you, Aidan, I'd use SSI.

Dreamweaver templates are excellent for most sites but not for those which are very complex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's answer one question at a time...Dreamweaver Templates!

*Remember* websters are at different levels. They may be moving from the templates of FrontPage to the templates of Dreamweaver...

First timer or old pro always, always understand what makes your feature and page work!

Utilizing *SSI* is fantastic as the changes are automatic compared to the *Library* and *Template* feature which you have to update - but *Templates* have their function too and may be the first step many are working on now and need to feel confident working with them.

I personally want to build a sound foundation of understanding of Dreamweaver2 - as it was the understanding of the mechanics of Homestead that made Dreamweaver2 easier to use in the first place.

Let's all remember that I am the one 'jumping' from free drag'n'drop Homestead to Dreamweaver2 - and although it has been only about a month or so working with Dreamweaver2 I have to say that I have been able to create websites with style and ease of updates...*and* with an understanding of the features that I use before I move on to the next.

Why I'm using templates? As Homestead published internally, I learned FTP first with NetFirms which doesn't have *SSI* (yet) and have used this free host (yes, yes there are more out there that have more options but I am working with NetFirms for now) for the sample websites and complimentary photo gallery pages that I am creating. When my $$ comes in, then domains and hosting companies with better features will follow...including *SSI* and more which I am learning as we speak

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used SSI before (many times in fact) but I just don't like it. I have also used ASP and other coding languages besides HTML that can be dynamic.

I like dream templates because I can modify the design rather than just a part of content (such as navigation).

To answer WebKat, yes I did use FP Templates. This was back in the dark ages (May-june 1999). After that, I used SSI and breifly learned ASP.

I know many of my options that are available to me, but I choose Dream Templates.

I might give PHP a chance, I plan to learn it anyway for experience. If I like PHP a lot, then I will use that instead.

Thanks for your comments!

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Templates are great and I too will keep learning and will be open to anything new that will make my life easier...

Until then just try Homestead where you have to update every page individually if you want to make any design change or modify the navigation that you use on each page...and you will come running back to *Templates*

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Homestead about half a year ago. They are great for people launching their first site.

The site I use in my sig...I haven't touched it in about half a year. I have been busy working on it for a relaunch - which will have over 100 pages at the launch. It will be on a paid host of course.

I think I will move to PHP, it seems very promising. (By the way, I am learning PHP right now)

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>I have used Homestead about half a year ago. They are great for people launching their first site<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you trcfreebies for someone who acknowledges that a free site has use and not only for the intellectually impaired!

Can't say that Homestead didn't work for me for learning how to build my first website in 1998 - the photographic organization that I designed was honored with 'Homestead of the Week' in 1999, Featured Site in the Club Category for Year 2000 and just recently won Honorable Mention in the 2000 PPA (Professional Photographers of America) Website Competition - must have been doing something right

FYI - I'm not the webmaster anymore as I stood up for something I didn't agree with and with no backing from the 'powers that be' resigned - it was their loss!

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, congrats!

You can get a lot for free. Just look at SitePoint - all this information is free!

As long as we are giving little summaries of ourselves, I'd like to go...

I learned HTML in 1994-1995, but wasn't a serious webmaster until 1998. At that time, I wasn't really good now that I look back.

In 1999, I made TRC Webmaster Freebies - a site that was never too successful. I worked too much on content and not enough on promoting - the result was a great site without popularity. I temporarily retired in Feburary, 2000 because I was really busy with work outside of computing. But I came back in April, and now I am working full power.

I know, nobody cares, but it was fun to write

------------------
    Get more hits, for free!

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible to use SSI and Dream Templates at the same time. I do on pretty much all of my sites.

------------------