SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mail Application

i'm working on an application that needs to associete incoming and outgoing email to a particular transaction.

i'm thinking the best way to do this is to

1. store the incoming/outgoing email files in a unique transaction folder
    2. strip the conetent out of the incoming/outgoing emails and load it into a db.

i'm thinking the user would hav a web interface to enter the email address and the message. i envision them being able to choose the transaction that the email is assoicated with via web interface.

does this make sense?

if so, is this something that seems doable in actiionmailer?

what's the best way to make sure replies get associated with their particular transaction? i think i've seen apps that append a unique id (associated with the transaction) to the end of the email name (before the @-sign). when the recipient replies, the number is still in place and the email is processed. come to think of it, i'm not sure how system knows how to handle that unique id (remove it before sending it to the literal email address).

tia for any insight...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbug
    i'm working on an application that needs to associete incoming and outgoing email to a particular transaction.

i'm thinking the best way to do this is to

1. store the incoming/outgoing email files in a unique transaction folder
    2. strip the conetent out of the incoming/outgoing emails and load it into a db.

i'm thinking the user would hav a web interface to enter the email address and the message. i envision them being able to choose the transaction that the email is assoicated with via web interface.

does this make sense?

if so, is this something that seems doable in actiionmailer?

what's the best way to make sure replies get associated with their particular transaction? i think i've seen apps that append a unique id (associated with the transaction) to the end of the email name (before the @-sign). when the recipient replies, the number is still in place and the email is processed. come to think of it, i'm not sure how system knows how to handle that unique id (remove it before sending it to the literal email address).

tia for any insight...
    i take it not many folks have used rails in the manner described above (act as an email organizer for archive purposes).

are there any other esources that i might try and tap? i've irced it a couple times with no luck.

tia...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterbug
    i take it not many folks have used rails in the manner described above (act as an email organizer for archive purposes).

are there any other esources that i might try and tap? i've irced it a couple times with no luck.

tia...
    Is this on Linux or Windows, dedicated hosting, or shared? Assuming a Linux host of some sort, you should be able to use the existing mail infrastructure, to setup "filters" (depending on MTA the verbage here may be different) that pipe email to a script. I would write a filter in Ruby that would read the email, connect to the DB and insert it. Then have a web app, that let someone view these emails and do whatever it is you're wanting them to do for "archival". This takes Ruby/Rails out of the role of having to serve as an MTA, but still handles your requirements.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgarissta
    Is this on Linux or Windows, dedicated hosting, or shared? Assuming a Linux host of some sort, you should be able to use the existing mail infrastructure, to setup "filters" (depending on MTA the verbage here may be different) that pipe email to a script. I would write a filter in Ruby that would read the email, connect to the DB and insert it. Then have a web app, that let someone view these emails and do whatever it is you're wanting them to do for "archival". This takes Ruby/Rails out of the role of having to serve as an MTA, but still handles your requirements.
    SG, i think actionmailer may do what i want - but it will be specific to my shared linux host. eventually i'd get my own dedicated linux server, but that's a while out.

i think i will store the emails in a db, though. i will create a method to append a unique (to the transaction) identifier to the subject and when i receive email, i will take the subject, stp the identifier and store the appropriate data in the db linked to the correct transaction.

i don't have the details worked out since i'm not that far along, but i don't think that process will be too painful.