SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I make browser to recognize encoding of my xhtml pages?

Hello everyone,

I seem to have a little problem. Currently I'm working on localization of one web site from English to Serbian language. For Serbian I use windows-1250 charset (utf-8 can be used too). But I'm having problems displaying some specific characters in the browser. Here is how my header looks:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1250"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="sr" lang="sr">
        <head>
            <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1250" />
    My files are saved as ascii in my code editor.
    The Strangest thing is that files are displayed properly when viewed locally on my hard drive, but as soon as I upload them on my server and try to view them in the browser (any browser), browser displays the page using standard ISO-8859-1 charset.

How can I make browser to recognize encoding of my xhtml pages?

Any ideas?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like your server is sending a different HTTP header. You're going to have to either over-ride it with a server-side programming language like PHP or contact your hosting provider.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dan. This is the first time I have heard for such thing. I can't believe that hosting provider is doing that.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, most of the time the typical hosting provider is going to use ISO-8859-1 or a similar character encoding. It's pretty typical, especially for sites that have a lot of content written in Western languages like English and French. I also think (don't quote me on this) that the server has it set to ISO-8859-1 by default anyway, so if I'm right, it wouldn't be your hosting provider's fault. Just ask them if they can switch the HTTP headers for your particular domain over to a compatible character encoding so you can properly serve your pages. If they have any competence and scruples whatsoever, they'll be more than happy to do so.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagor
    For Serbian I use windows-1250 charset
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagor
    My files are saved as ascii in my code editor.
    If you want to use Windows-1250 for your XHTML document, you need to make sure of three things:
    1. The file must be saved as Windows-1250.
    2. The encoding attribute in the XML declaration should specify Windows-1250 (unless you're serving the document as text/html, in which case the XML declaration doesn't matter and you could use a meta element instead).
    3. The server must set the charset attribute to Windows-1250 in the Content-Type HTTP header, or omit it altoghether.

See the Frequently Asked Questions about HTML for more information about character encodings.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx Cuckoo!

Forum administrators should really concentrate on search engine optimization for this forum, because info that I just read in that HTML FAQ is GOLD! I googled this issue for quite a bit of hours now and didn't stumbled at that page.

Thank you again! All the best.

SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to use a windows charset then are you ignoring all non-windows users? The modern way of doing things is to use utf-8 anyway so just use that.
    Also, the xml declaration won't work for IE6.
    IE does not understand xhtml served as xhtml, only modern browsers do.