User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legality and Functionality of New Site

I recently purchased the site in my signature: FreeMusicVideos.net

BACKGROUND: I did not do a heck of a lot of research because I thought the domain itself was pretty valuable-alone. I got the domain and site for a couple hundred bucks so its not a big deal--and I knew the site (videos) wasn't functioning when I bought it, anyway. I figured-any problems and I can just park the domain if worst comes to worst.

The .com of this same name gets a huge overture score WITH extension so I figured-worst case I got a domain name I really like (the site was just a bonus) that is/will become valuable as these types of domains go up in price usually.

Now that I have the domain and site safely in my control, I started doing some research to see if I could fix it. Apparently the site uses something called mvscript which pulls videos from Yahoo.

During my research, I found that apparently Yahoo didnt like this and the guy who wrote the script was a big scammer (I guess?). Also, there are several mirror sites out there of the one I bought (one of them is musicvideocodes dot org) But, that domain is not nearly as nice as mine

So my goal is twofold:

1) Find out if there are legal copyright issues with displaying Yahoo videos (I mean, I would be happy to pay Yahoo a licensing fee) and get a fix or a new script (Oh yeah, apparently the guy who wrote the script has a website mvscript.com which mysteriously disappeared)

2) Take the site in a different direction, maybe do music videos reviews or something.

So..does anybody here know the current status of mvscript or how to fix it or even if its LEGAL to do this? What about Yahoos stance on this? I am going to attempt to contact Yahoo directly and ask them about a licensing arrangement, as well..but if anybody here has any knowledge of the current environment, please let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is 2006, not 2004.

2006 is YouTube revolution, other music videos sites are obsolete. Don't waste your time, money and energy on this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a terrible attitude, rookie. If I thought this way back in 2005, I never would have started an online dating site that makes me almost 2k per month-all profit.

I would have said, Oh..how can I compete with Match.com and just given up. Microsoft would have never developed MSN.com search features, they would have said..Oh there's Google why should we waste our time etc. Why come out with the XboX when there's already PlayStation.

Your attitude is horrible and I'd prefer that if you dont have anything constructive to add, please keep your comments to yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asprookie
    This is 2006, not 2004.

2006 is YouTube revolution, other music videos sites are obsolete. Don't waste your time, money and energy on this.
    I could not disagree more. One of YouTube's biggest problems is its lack of focus. There is so much stuff on there, and so much of it is garbage, that it is becoming harder and harder to find anything of value. I think there are big opportunities for targeted video sharing sites that cater to a specific audience, just like the highly focused cable television channels.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will always be people who can't find what they want on GoogleVideo, Youtube and all the rest they'll then turn to a search to find other sites. In this light there is lots of potential. Of course the search phrase "free music videos" should pick up lots of traffic directly as well.

And as lionheart says the big sites have become too diluted and concentrating on a specific theme gives you more focussed visitors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes--my site gets a lot of visitors for the search phrase 'free music videos' now on to the functionality questions..but I think I'll post in the PHP section for that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your attitude is horrible and I'd prefer that if you dont have anything constructive to add, please keep your comments to yourself.
    It's easy for you to critisize my view on this cause you don't know me.

I have dealt with copyright issues in regards to music on the net and let me tell you, to play with the big boys of Yahoo, Universal and Sony, you have to be a big boy yourself to be legit or to be able to deal with their unreasonable licensing fees. I know I've tried.

Congrats on your dating site!

True, there's so much content on the big current video sites and having a focused site is the way to go.

Sincerely wish you good luck with your project, when that'll work out, I'll be the first one to pat you on the back.