SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning a PHP Project!

I'll be making an e-commerce site in a few weeks. The project will be quite large as you can imagine. I'm going to be coding it as modular as possible. Keeping all the different areas as separate as I can (login, registration, products list.etc).

I want to know what the best way is to plan a project like this. Should I lay everything out in steps as to what I should do first. For example, currently the best way I can think of is this...

Categories all the different parts of the shop (login, registration, products list.etc) and then list the steps involved with each of them. For example;

Login:

1) Create the login form with remember password option.
    2) Create test database with test users.
    3) Create the php page which handles the form.
    4) Validate username and password (check length.etc) before performing the database query.etc
    ... and so on.

Does this seem like a good way of planning this? Please give me as many tips as you can as this will be my largest project and so it's important I don't have to track back all the time and change code.etc

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Mockups or prototype of required screens
    2) Design of data model (all tables, views, indexes and relationships)
    3) Design of software -- classes and relationships, usually starting from the core models (user, order, product, etc) then working outwards towards entire modules and relationships within and between modules.
    4) Create object skeletons -- all properties and get/set methods and stubs for complex methods
    5) Start filling in the code for the methods

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean by screens in step 1?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your UI. What the user will see when using your application. Forms, reports, etc. Not to design the UI but to make sure you cover all the abilities, inputs and outputs you expect the application to require. If you are going to write a formal requirements document, mockups or screenshots of a prototype are useful when describing each screen the application will contain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, (and everone), is there any specific planning software you'd recommend for laying out/organizing steps 2 and 3? Post here.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackli
    Dan, (and everone), is there any specific planning software you'd recommend for laying out/organizing steps 2 and 3? Post here.
    Notepad or MS Word?